Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Tuesday, August 04, 2020

CoViD: sane voices making themselves heard

These lockdown diaries of mine will make good reading once the nightmare is far behind us. A vast number of people are going to giggle sheepishly to remember how wildly they had panicked; many will be deeply offended if they are even reminded. I hope my readers will recall that I took and maintained a consistent stance all through: the basic message was, don’t panic and over-react; that will do none of us any good.

I can see with the passage of every month that most of the things I said right from the beginning have come true. I shall not repeat them here: those who read really attentively will remember; others can simply scroll down and read the older posts, or re-read them.

For now, I shall offer two more links. One, to a video interview (dated August 01) of a very prominent doctor (epidemiologist and sometime head of CMC Vellore, one of our most iconic hospitals), offering ‘good news’. The other, to a news item in today's paper saying that various health groups and academics have been asking the central government to make public not just data relating to coronavirus infections and deaths, but to all deaths that have happened since March. It should be obvious to the meanest intelligence that if the government adopted a conscious policy of making people aware of what a vast number of people die daily of completely non-Covid related causes, and kept hammering on those data every day, the countrywide panic would subside within a month. As to why they are not doing it yet is anybody’s guess.

1 comment:

Siddheswar said...

Dear Sir,

Continuing the conversation here..
Once again, I am sorry about the 13 year delay. ( It took me a while to mature and actualy realise the reality of aging!) But hereon I promise to lurk around your blog every now and then.

Moving on to your post: Thanks for sharing the link to video interview. This is the first time I had access to a proper explanation of the effects of the virus, herd-immunity and the current situation especially in regards to our country.

With the new information, now I do agree with your words "...I absolutely refuse is to lose all sense of proportion and live (or rather, merely somehow survive, like a worm) in a state of perpetual terror". However, if I am being honest I was preparing to adapt to a changed way of life (albeit reluctantly). Lots of enterprises, especially in my domain of work, are considering turning into a complete remote working culture and there has been an immense boom in digital tools developed for seamless video conferences.

Nonetheless, you are right in stating that the government ought to release full data. However, as Dr. Muliyil says "education regarding (COVID) has been very poor", which leaves a lot of room for mixed messages. Also politically speaking in my opinion creation of panic and chaos IS the signature strategy for a certain group.

Mass panic or not, the good news is that we will indeed be fine (as long as "Corona patient" doesn't become a new social stigma). As a closing note I would like to say that I know at least 3 people in my direct contacts who are currently COVID positive at the moment; but they are all recovering with little or no discomfort.

Regards
সিধু জ্যাঠা ��