Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Thursday, May 07, 2020

Lockdown memoirs


I belong neither to the category of the very poor who are having to cope with extreme privations, nor to that small fortunate section of well-heeled businessmen, politicians and assorted types who have found in the lockdown an unexpected opportunity to further their careers vigorously, so I happen to be one of those whose biggest problem is to cope day in day and day out with boredom, frustration and incipient depression. This is what has been happening to me and immediately around me.

Of the few people who come out on the streets, the vast majority are males again. Without comment.

Beggars are knocking daily at my door after a gap of more than two decades.

Some people – old boys, as well as parents of current pupils, are beginning to say that the lockdown is slowly driving them mad. On the other hand, a lot of people are so scared of being infected and killed that they have virtually stopped even coming out on their balconies. Mostly retired people on pensions and those with assured salaries being deposited in their bank accounts, I am sure. They remind me of Dwijendralal Ray’s poem Nandalal: amazing indeed to think it was written more than a century ago! Who says the world has changed?

This has been a very wet and mild summer: it has rained heavily again and again ever since the middle of April. There are sudden chills; this evening itself there was a thundershower, and I had to wrap myself briefly in a shawl. So my surroundings are lush green, ablaze with flowers of many hues, and actually rather too noisy with bird calls at all hours of the day. I have seen snakes slithering on the roads and large scorpions – not very common sights at all.

The dogs prowling around in packs for scarce food are becoming feral, and a menace to pedestrians after evenfall: I am usually fond of them and they respond with wagging tails, but lately I have taken to carrying a big stick.

‘Learning online’, from my experience, is rather like what we Bengalis call kanthaaler aaamshottwo, or, as one dad put it, learning how to drive by reading a book. But a lot of us are having to make do, pupils and teachers alike. I have not gone for video conferencing, because they are not worth the bother: besides the networks being weak and people’s equipment often not up to the mark, there is more noise, distraction, idle chatter and pointless repetition than real learning of any sort whenever large numbers of youngsters get together. I have restricted myself to posting written lessons and exercises as well as audio lectures in class-wise Whatsapp groups, with an occasional pre-recorded video thrown in (which, to my surprise, have been much appreciated), answering questions via Whatsapp and phone, and correcting homework via email. That is a lot, actually.

And while this is deeply unsatisfactory as a solution over any significant length of time, one very heartening spin-off is that I know now that I don’t have to stay put in my house here for months at a time in future (as I have had to do for more than thirty years) to keep my career going any more. Given that logistics will keep improving – better phones and connections for most people, more robust apps, large screen TV and high quality webcam for me when I feel the investment to be justified, most of my study material stored in the Cloud and accessible from anywhere, I can buzz off for short, suddenly-planned holidays far more frequently, telling my pupils (maybe notifying them minutes before catching a flight!) ‘The next week’s classes will be held over the Net!’ That’s a happy thought.

On the flip side, I have sadly gotten very used to long post-lunch siestas. While I can cheerfully forgive myself given my age and the very long years of toil behind me, it will be quite a wrench – at least for the first few weeks – when daily afternoon and evening classes begin again, as they will sooner or later. Also, I have not been able to get a haircut in more than two months, and it's getting to be a nuisance.

The local markets are quite adequately stocked with essentials like rice, dal, salt, sugar, cooking oil, meat, fish and vegetables (especially vegetables: a great many people, from rickshawpullers to autodrivers, have been forced to turn into roadside vegetable vendors), but there are incipient shortages of processed foods, like Maggi and coffee and Nutella.

It puzzles me why only one hospital in the town has been designated as a CoViD diagnostic cum treatment centre, and that too a private hospital many miles away from the town proper.

A lot of people have told me stories about crowds being beaten up here and there by the police. Yet I have gone around the town several times in the last six weeks, and though I have seen crowds in some places, not once have I seen a police posse roughing them up. I have never been personally accosted either, though the local police patrol sees me taking a walk along deserted streets every evening.

Some people who think they are very wise and prescient are saying that this pandemic scare will change the world forever; others that, given how soon the whole world forgot the Great Pandemic of 1918-1919, everything will be business as usual by this time in 2021. Which side would you lay bets on?

The Decameron was written during the Black Death in Europe. I wonder who is working on some such epoch-making art or science right now, and where, if at all?

So much for now. I’ll be glad to hear from readers who are stuck at home like me.

P.S., May 17: For the record, this was one of the serious irritants I anticipated as reasons for not going in for live classes online by video. I can smirk and tell all those miffed teachers 'I told you so!' 

8 comments:

Tanmoy said...

Dear Suvroda

Nandalal is so amazing.

While the "lockdown" for a lot of vulnerable people is a cause of concern for various reasons, it has given credence to laziness in a lot.

In Bengal, it has brought out a lot of creativity as well.

Last night I dreamt that Kobiguru basically wanted a quiet birthday finally, but thanks to his phone buzzing with whatsapp and Facebook renditions of his work could not even sleep properly. :)

Regards
Tanmoy

Regards
Tanmoy

Aditya Mishra said...

Dear Suvro Sir,

Quite frankly, I belong to the group of poeple who are scared.
Not so scared to drive me crazy,but a fear remains nevertheless.
I haven't gone out of my home even once since the lockdown has started.
Not much different from my usual life but somehow this feels heavy.

My father goes out at least once daily to buy milk and vegetables.
And it scares me.
Cases in Amritsar mostly belong to a group of pilgrims who were brought back from Maharashtra.
Although the risk is low for a common man on the road,my overthinking gets the best of me.

Of all things possible,I want the power to control my thoughts!

It is nice to read your blog again sir.
Stay Safe!

Subhasis said...

Dear Sir,
The last few months have revealed to me the exact nature of the world. A couple of observations from my side.
Firstly, domestically India’s political leaders have shown their true colours. When the health ministry and the prime minister makes policy decisions by copy-pasting speeches from other countries, I am truly scared at the lack of effort, imagination, foresight and above all moral fibre in the ruling class of this nation. It is not the virus that will cause the greatest harm, it is the lack of true leadership that will.
Secondly, globally such pandemics have happened before and will happen again. However, it has exposed the myth of the US of A being the world’s greatest anything. A nation that will not even pretend to care for its citizens is no nation at all. As nations come slowly out of ‘lockdown’, I think the lessons learnt from it will be forgotten in a year when things come back to a new normal. But it is a warning knell from nature that further mindless exploitation of her will only lead to more such pandemics. The virus will have its own story to tell and will not stop till it has fulfilled its purpose what it wants to say, no matter how much virologists and armchair scientists keep telling us that a vaccine is just around the corner (which it is not). A vaccine will not also solve the problems in a post corona world.
I pray to God that we can, all of us together, make it through this difficult time.
Warm regards,
Subhasis Chakraborty


Suvro Chatterjee said...

Interesting comments, all three. Will you please allow me a few days to wait for more comments, if any? Then I can reply to all of them together. But meanwhile, thank you.

Arunabha Mondal said...

Dear Sir,

It has been nearly six months(much before the Lockdown commenced) I have been grounded in the house.I have been going to school only to take the exams(both Pre-board and Board exams).And now that only three examinations are remaining most of us do not care much about them.

We know that even an endless period of Lockdown will not rid India of the virus and I am not much skeptical that even the politicians are well aware of that fact.The Indian politicians have become puppets of WHO- blindly complying with member-states.Besides,they also want to reduce the rate at which Covid-19 is spreading(so that the nation do not run short of medical equipments like USA)though they are not having much success in that(taking the entire country into consideration).

It was very wise of you to conduct classes in WhatsApp group and only one of my teachers are doing so.All the other teachers conducting online classes are wasting most of our time.The school is organizing online classes to provide an excuse for collecting fees.Besides,in video conferencing both the teacher and the students must have proper internet connection which not at all possible in this monsoon season with frequent power-cuts(which ruins the broadband connection) and thunderstorms(which stops the mobile data).Even if a student has stable connection but cannot understand a topic,he just has to give the most believing excuse nowadays that he could not hear due to poor network.Therefore,online classes are creating new excuses.

The nature is healing itself in the meantime.The South-East Asian dolphins are again visiting the Ganges after a long interval of three decades.I hope that after the Lockdown ends the industries do not double their production which will surely increase the pollution levels.

Sir,I think the eighth paragraph(Given that logistics improve... that's a happy thought) could be included in any science-fiction story.

With regards,
Arunabha Mondal

Shilpi said...

Dear Suvro da,

This is a post, which sounds like a letter. It was good to read about the daily happenings and everyday reality pictures that you sketched with your brush along with some of your thoughts, comments, questions and musings. To keep myself on track, I’ll break up the comment.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading “Nandolal”. Is this called satire? Whatever it is called – it is deliciously and finely put. Finely slicing with a knife-sharp wit. And yes, more and more I think whether old or young – there is the unhealthy, extreme opinion, which has sort of taken the majority of people on the globe in its grip: that one must exist and survive at all costs, and what one does or what one is does not seem to matter or count much. I know that you have written on this obsession to extending the number of years while paying little attention to the quality of such a life on your blog – in different ways. The old man post – Henry Allington (I can’t remember his exact name) – who had seen WWI. That post arises to mind especially. Here the hookah-wielding tribe of quiet, old men have not budged from their usual place near the shaded road corner, and have obmutaciously refused to be under house lockdown. I cannot help but admire their spirit.

That the rain gods are sending rain this year is good news. That your surroundings are green and lush and the flowers are blazing beautifully is delightful to know. Last year, I remember how the monsoons gave you a complete miss. Strange though that summer is not to be seen. I still fear the ghastly heat – although Delhi has not been too terribly bad till date. Guha tells me it is between 14 and 24 degree Celsius far West.

Shilpi said...

I am sorry to hear of the dogs going feral. I fear dogs gone wild. It is a relief that you go armed with a stick. Here the dogs are being fed by different folks, and so most of them seem to be well-tempered. I have two favourite puppies (not puppies really; one is large and rather fat and looks like an adorable piglet or an Inuit dog – our entire office team adores her; and the other one is a pure mutt, who is just a joy to meet for the way he greets me on my regular walks).

It’s also very good to hear that you are carrying on with your classes as best as you can – even though I understand it is a terribly unsatisfactory way. Still – one can at least be thankful that you and your children have some ways to communicate, stay in touch and continue with the classes and homework till this passes. As for your siestas – I think you should enjoy them for now. It won’t be easy later – so I think you should enjoy them fully without contemplating on the wrench that is bound to come later…

I am not sure where I would hedge my bets. I find myself arguing for both sides – that the world might change in some ways or else not change at all – or go back to the normal pace and style after a year. I find myself hoping that some things do change for the better: such as, no jostling in public places, maintaining hygienic habits (without making a fetish of them as it has become now for some!), maybe even maintaining cleaner public surroundings, and an understanding that we could do some beneficial things for the very poor, and also maybe focus on a few things, such as moving gradually into a civilization that does not place an emphasis on material consumption (and thereby reduce excessive pollution) above all else…

I found Tanmoy’s dream fascinating and hilarious! That he had a dream about Tagore makes me feel that he is blessed – no matter if the Great Poet was somewhat annoyed and irked! As for the depression and fear and boredom that many people are experiencing – I feel that if I write about this, it would make this comment much too long. But I have the feeling that had this same lockdown been announced some years ago – whether 5 or 8 – I would have been a raving lunatic in its midst...

Thank you for writing this post. I do not know whether my comment fits well for your post but here it is, so I’m sending it along.

Regards,
Shilpi

Aveek Mukherjee said...

Dear Sir,

Here are my two cents:

1. I think that 'The earth is healing up' is massive exaggeration. More than 8 lakh endangered Olive Ridley turtles have returned to the coast of Odisha and the Himalayas are now visible from Saharanpur- all such occurrence, howsoever a spectacle, is very unlikely to happen again once the Lockdown is lifted. The distinction between COVID-19 and climate change is that flattening the curve for the latter will require decades of consistent action rather than mere weeks. I know everybody has forgotten, but there was a deadly forest fire in Australia as recently as January. In the Brazilian Amazon, an area of forest as large Lebanon has been wiped out between January-April. Things are going unnoticed under the veil of 'The earth is healing up'.

2. I cannot resist the urge to express my complete agreement with Subhasis-Da has said in his comment, particularly the second point that this pandemic has debunked a lot of myths about the US in every sphere.

3. The worrisome aspect of this seemingly infinite lockdown is the unchecked power it bestows on the head of government, which allows her/him to push forward a repressive agenda against dissenting voices and erode democratic processes that aim to hold them accountable. The biggest casualty of this concentration of power is human rights: citizens overnight are converted into “subjects” and compelled to surrender their rights in the name of larger public good. For instance, labour laws are revoked in several parts across India, to keep the profit motive intact from the back of overworked labourers. Hungary has extended the state of emergency indefinitely with its Prime Minister allowing himself to rule by decree, and Serbia’s President has announced an open-ended state of emergency, sidelining Parliament and enforcing some of Europe’s strictest measures.

4. Even if a lion's share of the world population gets infected, I think things should fall into place very soon.

Regards,
Aveek