Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Sunday, May 24, 2020

Lockdown memoirs, part two


Yes, I know I haven’t written for some time, and people have been asking why. My excuse is laziness, but also a little bit of something else: I am terrified of repeating myself, especially seeing that some people have dropped not too subtle hints that I am becoming boring… my frequent readers, you can do me a great favour by giving me the same warning if you too feel that that is indeed becoming the case. Old people become garrulous, and ramble and repeat themselves unselfconsciously. They need to be (mildly-) reprimanded.

My children are complaining that they are desperately sick of staying at home (ha ha: even Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft, agrees that permanent work from home would be sick!), and would love to come over for regular classes; that they are even missing the scoldings! I can only say God bless. And I know today how kind Providence has been to me, how much beyond making a living I depend on my pupils year after year to live a good life, how badly I’d miss my work if I were forced to quit even if I didn’t need the money at all. In later years, if I am still at it, I shall only have to find ways of making it less of a routine drudgery…

While it has caused too much (partly avoidable) misery worldwide, I cannot deny that the pandemic scare has also done us some good by forcing a global pause in the pursuit of the ‘ordinary business of life’, to use an expression coined by the great 19th century economist Alfred Marshall. As I noted in an earlier post, crime is down, road accidents are down, pollution is down, but that is just the beginning of the story. The Bengali writer Bani Basu has pointed out that, because of being under house arrest for a very long stretch, many of us have rediscovered how little of material things we can actually make do with: which cannot be but a salutary lesson for all of us, or at least a powerful reminder, which I hope will not be too quickly forgotten. And while we have discovered how many parties we need never attend and how many meetings we need not sit on, we have, I hope, also found how much we need one another’s physical, face to face company, though we do get on one another’s nerves from time to time too, even in very loving relationships. I wonder whether Aristotle actually said (in Greek) that man is a political animal, or was it really ‘social’ animal, as I read when I was a small boy? I hope that a lot of people have found out how much they travel unnecessarily, simply to run away from home or to feel important! It is good that so many people have been forced to discover, or rediscover, how to be fruitfully, enjoyably alone both with a few dearly loved ones, and with themselves, whether it is by meditating or reading or indulging all sorts of hobbies that can be pursued at home. I, for one, have been spending much more time than usual chatting with old boys, whether they live nearby and drop in occasionally, or whether they live half a world away, and can talk only over Whatsapp. It is a genuine pleasure to know that they relish these interactions as much as I do.

What has amazed me, personally, is not the disease and its effects, but how it spread panic worldwide – in our country far more than in many others – because it is so uncharacteristic of human nature, unless human nature itself has changed within the last few decades. We humans did not survive and thrive over hundreds of millennia, nor did we bring so much suffering and destruction upon ourselves through horrors like war, by being so afraid to die! I shall keep writing again and again on this subject, because it touches upon so many things, metaphysical, existential, ethical, etc etc. It takes my breath away. But let that wait for later. However, interested readers might meanwhile review my two old blogposts titled Meditations on death and dying.

Subhasis wrote in his comment on the last post that this once in several lifetimes incident has helped us greatly to know what people are really like. I have been pondering upon that remark for days together. Someone else, a doctor, told me last night he is truly glad to see that the sight of so much human suffering all around has aroused the kind of sympathy and desire to help our fellow man that we had been on the verge of losing. I hope he is right, and even more that it will not be quickly forgotten. Also that a few good habits that people have been forced to cultivate out of sheer terror will not be given up, especially in overcrowded countries like ours, like not crowding and jostling where that sort of thing is not absolutely necessary, not spitting on the street or using the roadside as a toilet – frankly speaking, I am not too optimistic, though I shall be very happy to be proved wrong.

The recent cyclone that blew over Bengal (Amphan, May 20), and wreaked havoc especially over the southern districts and the metropolis of Kolkata has briefly taken people’s minds off the obsession with the spreading virus. I do hope, heartless as it sounds, that more such traumatic things happen and soon, so that millions of foolish folk eventually realize that we have to live with a lot of unpleasant things all the time, because that has always been the human condition, and so start behaving a little more normally again. ‘New normal’ is a historically valid idea, but it takes ages to happen, like manuscripts being replaced by printed books, home tutors for children of the rich by sausage-factory schools for the masses, and horse-drawn carriages by railway trains. They don’t happen virtually overnight, as many people seem to be expecting. Thirty years after the internet began to spread worldwide, there are still millions of people around who are like babes in the wood when it comes to something like online banking.

Among other things, during the lockdown I have discovered Russian child piano prodigy Elisey Mysin. He brought back memories of the wonderful movie August Rush. I can almost agree with one of the comment writers on YouTube that Mysin is Mozart reincarnated. May he have a long life and wonderful career ahead.  Also, I am breathlessly into the just-released Thomas Cromwell trilogy by Hilary Mantel, The Mirror and the Light. My daughter introduced me to the first book, Wolf Hall, a couple of years ago, and now she has bought me the third. I haven’t read fictionalized biographies of this calibre since Irving Stone stopped writing.

By the way, here's the link to a little something I read out from Jim Corbett on Instagram at my daughter's behest.

Well, so much for now. I am writing these memoirs rather like a diary, to make interesting reading for myself and perchance some others many years later, when it will all sound like a fairy tale. Imagining my grandchildren going through it, to think of one example!

10 comments:

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Funny, given the thousands of page views, that there are no comments here at all! No thoughts, ideas, hopes, fears and personal experiences to share?

Aditya Mishra said...

Dear Suvro Sir,

Sorry for the late reply.
Last minute assignment submission rush is the worst.

I am not sick of staying at home.Infact I love it.But I am afraid of falling sick! Or for that matter,anyone from my family falling sick.

I spend most of my time going through updates and possible cures.
I have so far gone through numerous posts about Covid 19 and have memorised all the names of all the drugs that various countries are using to cure their patients.
My family finds this rather funny.

The truth is that I have never been so scared before.There have been instances when I've lost my sanity momentarily but this is a more prolonged phase.And it's continuous.

I know that I tend to overthink a lot but this is somehow different.
There's a feeling of impending doom if I am allowed to say that.

My sleep schedule has gone for a toss and I am getting at most 3 to 4 hours of sleep daily.
And as is expected, I have a headache the next day and the overthinking part of me suits up to the occasion.
I check my temperature at regular intervals and that of my family members too.No wonder they are irritated by it.

But I can't seem to find a way out of this cycle of overthinking and fear.
Even memes don't help anymore as I have replaced them with stats of my city where cases are rising.

The assignments therefore were a welcome change.It rarely happens so that a student is happy on learning about an assignment with a deadline.

But the relief was temporary.
I've again gone back to the new normal after a telephonic viva.

And it is with this feeling that I write to you now.

I hope you and your family members are safe from both Coronavirus and the cyclone.

Yours Sincerely,
Aditya Mishra

Neha Gupta said...

Dear Sir,

Everyone is dealing with some kind of fear and anxiety right now.Some are scared of getting killed by the virus whereas some are worried about their jobs,businesses and their diminishing financial futures.

Honestly speaking,I am not scared of the virus.I am more concerned of the economic slowdown which would end up killing more people than the virus itself.Many people have already lost their jobs and savings and might take time to recover from that.Business will take time to return to normal as long as human interactions remain unsafe.

It is very important for us to calm our minds during these difficult times because overthinking will lead to more anxiety and we might end up suffering our own imagination before we suffer any viral infection or the repercussions of any recession.

Lastly all I would like to say is,

Remember to help the homeless and poor,
A little charity is all they require
And be brave to fight every fear,only
it can end the world,not ice or fire.

I wish I could share my thoughts on the end of the world with Robert Frost.

Warm regards,
Neha Gupta

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Dear Aditya,

Yes, I heard about the assignments rush from Swarnava. But it was good that there came something to distract you. The biggest harm that has been done by this lockdown, much more than the disease itself, is forcing us to brood upon worst-case scenarios for weeks and months on end, which is always VERY bad for mental health.

As for your concern, remind yourself over and over again that actually, as you will see on the google page if you just type in 'coronavirus', the fear of infection, if you are basically healthy and young, is wildly exaggerated: only 165,000 people have been infected so far in a land of 1,350,000,000, and even ten lakhs would be a tiny fraction; most infected people suffer nothing at all, most of the few who suffer get well after a few days of home treatment with nothing much more than paracetamol and gargles/steam inhalations, while of the very few who are hospitalized, a tiny minority dies, and the rest come back cured. Think: today's data in the newspaper says that in India over a period of nearly three months, about 4700 have died (far, far more died in traffic accidents!), while 71000+ have been cured! You people are students of high-level science, so think scientifically: what are your chances of dying of CoVid? Not very much higher than being killed by a meteorite landing on your head...

Neha, I too believe the real, far bigger disaster has happened on the economic front, and it will take a very great deal of suffering, especially among the poor, for a very long time, before normal conditions are restored. I am glad you remembered the poet's words, and thanks for writing.

I wish more of my readers would join in and share their thoughts.

Aditya Mishra said...

Dear Sir,

Thank you for this message.
And thank you for the Buddhist meditation mantra you suggested.It actually helped.
Also talking to Swarnava and sharing memes with him takes my mind off this whole issue.
He's a good friend.

I have made a few changes to my routine now.And it includes not watching too much news.I am trying to keep myself engaged in reading and learning.And it works!

An idle brain is indeed the devil's workshop.

May I also share the music that calms me?
The musician's name is Yanni.Some of his older pieces are lovely.
My personal favourite is 'Until the last Moment' and 'Before I Go'.I hope you will like the music.

Waiting for your next post,

Aditya

Subhasis said...

Dear Sir,

Thank you for mentioning me in your blog post. I made that comment because I have the feeling that almost everyone who tries to put on a show is exposed for what they are during a crisis period. As for the few shoots of sympathy that seem to be arising, I am much more sceptical and I doubt that it is going to last for very long. Charity and sympathy are lifelong habits that must be cultivated far away from the glare of social media. As to how the ‘lockdown’ was implemented and how ‘unlock’ is being done right now in our country is a whole another story. What bothers me much more is that the world has lost its charm to an extent and the atmosphere of doom and gloom that has settled over it is likely to stay here much longer than the news of the ‘spreading’ virus.

There was no paradise before the virus, nor will it be one after it. We must live with the one singular idea that our life, as indeed of every other being that God has created, is transient. Nothing more and nothing less. I grant that the idea is difficult to dwell on but it is the truth. If anything, the ‘lockdown’ should have given people the impetus to re-organize their lives to spend time and effort on the things that matter the most.

A small note about Amphan as well. I think our CM is quite right in prioritizing the re-development of rural areas than handling the handful of people getting affected by the virus. Farmers in our state are our to use a Bengali word ‘Annadata’ and must be cared for than the few people complaining on street corners that they have to haul water up the stairs. There are people in the estuaries of Bengal who have lost everything. Without the farmers to fill up the granaries of the state, there will be famines on an unprecedented scale. If that would happen, society would completely collapse.

God bless us all.

Warm regards,
Subhasis Chakraborty

Unknown said...

Dear Sir

This lockdown season has been a lot like “the best of times and the worst of times”. I am also one of those who is slightly scared of falling sick. I get a little paranoid these days when I sneeze more than once. However the recovery rate as published in the newspapers gives me hope. And as a character in The Shawshank Redemption remarks, “Hope is a good thing, and no good thing ever dies”. Other than that I am keeping myself busy these days by teaching my father how to operate a smartphone, especially the banking transactions part, so that he doesn’t have to stand in queues any more. I saw this wonderful documentary called 13th by Ava Duvarney. It draws a historical trajectory of racial inequality in the United States and how the prison population of the United States is overwhelmingly African-American. Also, I have to say it was such a delight to hear your voice after such a long time.

I am hoping unlike my previous comment in an earlier post, my name will appear this time.

Please stay safe and healthy

Yours sincerely

SUPRIYO DEY

Upama Dutta said...

Dear Sir,
As you had mentioned earlier, schools and many tuition teachers, have started online classes but it is beyond frustrating. Some teachers who know how to host such classes are doing really well but a few who do not anything about online class or video conference, are not able to teach properly, they are not even ready to listen to the students about how to handle their devices.It is also very hard to attend the classes because it requires a good network which we might not recieved specially since it has been raining almost every evening. But my biggest problem is that I do not even know who my classmates are or who is my teacher, everything is reduced to mere voice because if we all turn our video on, then the server will be affected. Overall online classes are not as beneficial as we thought it would be, I really cannot wait for the school to open.I also find it ironic how the same teachers who preached that students should not be given android, are now conducting online classes, which requires every student to have atleast an android if not a laptop. The only way I benefitted from the lockdown is that I started a new hobby which is digital art.

Thanking you,
Upama Dutta
(2020)

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Supriyo, it is a pity that your name is still not showing. And while your comments are always welcome, there is a risk that I might delete one without reading, because most anonymous comments come from ignorant, spiteful fools who only want to write irrelevant, moronic abuse. So do find out what's wrong. If you are writing from a gmail address, it should show your name, as you can see in the comments from many others.

Upama, that is the very reason I have steadfastly refused to coach via video conferencing. It just doesn't work under the present circumstances.I am waiting for normal classes to resume. Meanwhile, phone, whatsapp and email must do.

Please use the word tutors, and not the Indianism 'tuition teachers'!

Sir

Neha Gupta said...

Dear Sir,

I am thankful too for the opportunity to connect to you, for your ability to tell us what is right and what isn't through your belief system and more importantly of churning us out as sensible human beings.Keep guiding us through your words of wisdom!

Warm regards,
Neha Gupta