Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Adieu, 2019

God is being good to me.

Durgapur was shrouded in fog on Monday the 23rd, so it was a miracle that my flight took off hardly half an hour late. I kept falling asleep on the flight, and the stewardess was kind enough to take away my food tray without waking me up. Arrived in front of Pupu's and Shilpi's office a little before 1 p.m., and we came over to Shilpi's flat - the new and bigger one - for lunch together. Then I had a lovely snooze while they went back to work. Talk about the perks of old age! I slept in Pupu's smart new digs that night, right in the next street, snug as a bug in a rug. As I said, I am infinitely thankful. What comfort, what joy, what peace... what a contrast with a tormented childhood and youth, full of privations and disappointments! What a blessing that I remember such a multitude of details so keenly, so that I can savour the difference so intensely!

The highlight of Tuesday, Christmas Eve, was the lovely dinner party we had at home, with Pupu, Shilpi, Aparna, Milli, Arpita, Pratyush and Kartikeya to warm my old bones while filling up on kebabs and wine and pizza. And  reciting poems off the top of my head, with a quietly attentive audience. Imagine, I was telling myself: I memorized these lines long before these kids were born!

Christmas Day was spent lazing and luxuriating, with a mid-afternoon walk around Lodi Gardens, something I can never have enough of. And regaling Pupu with another Parashuram story before going to bed...

The next four days were busy, because they were working days for both Pupu and Shilpi, and we got up early every morning to commute to a posh private school in Gurgaon, where Katha was holding their annual festival. About that, in a separate post, soon. I did a storytelling session in the course of the Parents' and Teachers' Colloquium (photo below) which most of them apparently enjoyed enough to ask for more. Kartikeya, in particular, was inspired to dub me with an honorific of his own coinage: 'Sircle' (Sir+Uncle).



Sunday was Pupu's birthday. Another dinner, at a fancy restaurant of the young folks' choice in Hauz Khas village.

These last two days have been spent lazing again. It's very foggy till midday, and bitterly cold: taking a bath is an ordeal, and sitting around in the mellow sunshine in the nearby park pure bliss. An astrologer had predicted long ago that in 2019 I'd find peace: it seems he was more than half right!

A new year dawns tomorrow. In this world swept by endless tides of artificially whipped up excitement quickly forgotten, does anyone remember APJ Abdul Kalam, and his once-much tomtommed Vision 2020 for India?

During this holiday I read Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni's new opus, The Forest of Enchantments, or, as she has alternatively called it, the Sitayan. Very well written, though not in the same class as The Palace of Illusions.

The photo below is of a tiny tot who attended all four days of the Katha Festival with her mother, an angel of utterly lovable patience. Kept bringing to my mind Tagore's remark that the birth of every child is a reassurance that God has not yet given up on Man.


God tussi great ho! Peace on earth, and joy to all men of goodwill. Also, may all those who burn inside with all kinds of negative emotions, such as envy and spite and greed, find solace and comfort in the new year.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot sir....she is my daughter...i could not to come to Delhi due to some engagements...
My wife had all praises for you...

Wishing a very happy new year.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

You are welcome, Mr. Singh. Best wishes.

Aveek Mukherjee said...

Dear Sir,

I am very happy to know that your year ended on such a joyful note. I shall write at length in your next post- this storytelling session had intrigued me much since the time you told me about it.

Even after all the vilification you had to face for being a 'Teacher with difference', it is really heartening how you can maintain such a sunny outlook to life! May Almighty be with you always and help you to show many others the road to the good life.

Hope the rest of the days in this year and the New Year bring loads of joy and happiness to you.

Regards,

Aveek.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Thank you, Aveek. It helps to count my blessings, you know. And besides, I decided long ago that God willing, I shall not let myself go under, no matter how much 'the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune' may harass me. Most pleasantly of all, it tickles me to think that the more I laugh and ignore them, the more my detractors boil in their own hot bile!

Sir