Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Saturday, December 14, 2019

Mid-December notes


Glad to see that Tales from bygone days has been visited by a lot of people, probably because I provided a link in a recent post. There is a part two, too, you know. And talking of old posts, you might look up Moral Science, which was a subject we were discussing in class recently again. I am always surprised to see how old these posts have become, and how absolutely topical they have still remained!

This is playing out as one of the strangest winters in living memory. It’s December 14 today, yet the maximum temperature is showing no signs of dropping below 25 Celsius, nor the minimum below 14-15. Which means it’s comfortable enough, but far from a respectable winter. The sky is cloudy almost every day, but without any precipitation, so I almost feel jealous to hear that it has rained heavily in Delhi, while Kashmir is all snowbound.

Another year is now drawing swiftly to a close. These days whole years seem to pass in the twinkling of an eye. I am coasting towards (voluntary-) retirement, and the only thing that excites me about the future is the prospect of grandchildren.

I am also more than a little curious about how this state will gear up for the forthcoming Assembly elections over the next year. More and more the biggest question that looms over India is whether the democratic dispensation laid down by our Constitution makers will survive the increasingly frequent, violent and reckless assaults on it. Given that our entire body politic, including the ‘educated’ class, has become so uninterested in laws and rules, in decision making through informed and rational debate, in ideals like moderation, patience and decency, I have, I believe, grave cause for disquiet. The best I can console myself with is that I have spent the largest part of my adult, active, participative life already, and henceforth I shall withdraw more and more into the role of a passive observer, avoiding trouble as far as I can. A man can fight only so many battles in one lifetime.

It has occurred to me that at least a few people read my blog only to stoke their own fires of jealousy and impotent hatred, God knows why. I shall not do them the undeserved honour of taking cognizance of their individual identities, leave alone the ‘opinions’ they harbour in their sick little brains: my only advice to them is, stop visiting! You get one chance to be stupidly, ignorantly, pointlessly abusive anyway – then you are blocked off for good. I write here only for my own pleasure, and perchance for a few who enjoy what I write. The rest don’t count, nor ever will.

A boy who became an ex-student only a year ago and keeps dropping in was complaining this very evening how very disgusted he feels to hear his friends and slightly-seniors using abusive language constantly, compulsively, unthinkingly, regardless of company. There may still be, I reflected, some cause for hope. I wish our prime minister, while lecturing the country on why it is essential and important to be clean, thought it fit to insist that to be clean in the language one uses is an integral part of overall cleanliness…

I am reading Madam Justice Leila Seth’s autobiography, On Balance. I like to read about strong characters among women who were also big achievers without being rabid feminists, and Ms. Seth, who was not only India’s first woman Chief Justice of a High Court but a very successful mother who brought up three brilliant children, including writer Vikram, fits that bill eminently. I am barely halfway through the book, and I may write about it in detail afterwards, but right now I’d like to note I was bemused to learn about how she happened to name her second son, because it brought back memories of how we named our daughter. Did I tell you that story?

My publisher informs me that all through the year, To My Daughter has been selling slowly, but steadily. Reason for good cheer! All those who write long and earnest questions to me via email, I urge them strongly, buy that book and read it. You will find many of your questions answered, and in any case I can’t keep repeating myself for every newcomer who has become interested in me and my writing lately. That is one of the main reasons why I wrote that book sixteen years ago.

Another eight days, and my work will be over for this year. Yay!

P.S., Dec. 18: The Met. department got it absolutely right this time. As predicted, the sky is clear and blue today, the sun is mild, the wind is cold, and the water feels frozen. Winter, at last, is here.   

7 comments:

Tanmoy said...

Dear Suvroda

You deserve a well-deserved break as I know you work terribly hard. Good wishes.

It is going to be another decade starting from next year onwards and I suddenly felt, we have just started getting busier re-shaping our creative interests. I am so glad to hear that there are people who love the book. It gives me a sense of optimism that the intelligentsia are not all in hiding.

Take care
Tanmoy

Subhasis said...

Dear Sir,
I have been having the same feeling of unease over the governments (in) actions in the last days. I think people all across the world are living in a state of pain, either financial or mental and such draconian laws combined with the increasing capabilities of modern social media to inflame polarizing opinions will only lead to more chaos in the days to come. I doubt that the fundamentals of our or for that matter, any constitution can survive such repeated onslaughts. Perhaps the age of democracy really is coming to an end. I am linking below to an article about Professor Rosenberg from UC Irvine whose thoughts are not too dissimilar to mine.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/09/08/shawn-rosenberg-democracy-228045

I just hope and pray that I am mistaken.
About your reflections on the book you mentioned, I have not read Mrs Seth's book, but looking through her book catalogue is also a book for children, entitled ’We the children of India’ to learn essentials about our democracy. Maybe that should be on the essential reading lists on some of our country's so-called 'elite'. I shall try to find a copy of it for reading. About your book, I will buy a Kindle edition as soon as we have purchased a tablet, which is on our Christmas agenda in the coming weeks.
My year has gone by in a flash and I will take a much-needed break in the coming days. I wish you a relaxing break from your daily schedule Sir and hope that you can meet up with your daughter and travel if possible.

Yours sincerely,
Subhasis Chakraborty




Suvro Chatterjee said...

Thanks very much for the link to that article, Subhashis. If you look up my post A small dose of political philosophy (which is currently on the most-read list) and others, you will see I worry along the same lines. And like you, I pray that I may be mistaken.

Yes, I intend to read that other book by Leila Seth, too.

Season's greetings. My blessings to the missus. Have a good holiday.

Sir

Unknown said...

I don't know what elements inside me pushes me to read your every post.Actually, I find original thoughts in your written text, quite honest as straightforward, in this FasTrack life, I see the same Suvroda whom I met 26 years ago to undergo coaching classes for English administered by you, whatever you think of me ,I don't care,I am nothing infront of you, you have been my Guru. Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you 2020.

Unknown said...

Sir, Do you watch Ravish Kumar on television?He is known as people's journalist, known for going beyond the newsroom to highlight on common people's lives by visiting not only their homes in narrow lanes of slums but also visiting their struggling lives and showcasing their issues with feelings of love and empathy.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

To both 'unknowns' who have lately commented here, thank you, but do please take the trouble to let me know your names!

Upama Dutta said...

Dear sir,
There are a lot of things going on in news, half of which, I just don't understand. My biggest of all questions is that we already have Aadhar cards and I had asked my class mate (whose family is Non-resident Indian) whether they have Aadhar card or not. She answered that they don't because they are NRI. Then doesn't it mean that we already have a document of belonging to India ? Why do we need a separate National Register of certificate (or NRC) ?

Next comes the books, I have almost finished "The Razor's Edge" and my cousin has promised to buy me "The Lord of Rings" if I get above eighty percent in ICSE which I hope to because I want to pursue bio-science.