Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Friday, April 08, 2022

Two long, swift, arduous but most rewarding decades

Ten years ago on this very day, I put up an exultant post, announcing that I had finished a whole decade of teaching at home with no salaried job on the side, no advertising, and no organizational support whatsoever, corporate, social or political, yet I had managed to do well enough for myself, certainly by Indian middle class standards. It was a moment of celebration well earned. 

Ten more years have passed since that day. My daughter is now grown up, my savings have swelled, my reputation remains intact despite the countless, endless, vicious and mean assaults on it, and having even survived the two-year long pandemic scare, I am still going strong, operating on the same large scale and relentless pace as I started after leaving that schoolmaster's 14-year long job twenty years ago. Only sensible, thoughtful, experienced and sympathetic working people in their forties at least will begin to appreciate how lucky I have been (though I prefer to ascribe it to God's grace), and also how much nose-to-the-grind hard work it has taken. Only the very lazy and very greedy and very stupid can envy me.

At this remove, and at this age, one acquires poise and perspective, even if he did not get them much earlier in life. All through my working life, despite all odds, difficulties, setbacks, rebuffs and disappointments - believe me, there have been many! - I have tried obstinately to stick to certain principles, and given my strong likes and dislikes very high priority. So I left the prospect of a university job, though more than well-qualified for it, because I wouldn't kowtow to ignorant political masters nor bribe my way through, and there was hardly any other way you could get a college lecturer's job. I gave up a possibly lucrative career in medicine simply because hospitals, as they existed in the 1980s, turned me off and I knew I wouldn't survive them. I quit journalism not only because it paid very poorly in those days but it had begun to stink (the stench is unbearable today, so thank God I chose rightly!) I didn't get through the national civil service exams, despite having done very well in them - and over the last forty years I have met numberless bureaucrats who were most evidently far less well endowed than I was and yet managed to get in, and now, after a lifetime's experience, I have very strong doubts whether I'd have hated the job and managed to survive in that stultifying atmosphere, so I  have no regrets. I got job offers from better schools, private colleges, publishing houses and national newspapers which I casually chucked up because by that time I was well settled ploughing my own furrow. I similarly gave the go-by to admissions in several foreign universities because I had by then decided it was too late to venture on entirely new experiments. I quit the school job because I had no intention of serving under an overbearing idiot where they could not even afford to pay me a decent salary. I have tried startup ventures several times over the last quarter century trying to spread my wings countrywide, with no success, but on that one I have not given up hope yet, because now that my daughter is of working age and showing a strong predilection to take up my baton, and literally everyone has access to the internet, things might at last work out in my old age as I had planned in my youth...

Today, approaching sixty (official retirement age for government servants, but teachers and doctors and lawyers never need to retire as long as they can continue working), I have not slowed down very much, but I am becoming more and more choosy, because I can afford to, and there is nothing left for me to prove. I have not managed to become rich or powerful or even famous (except in my own small town where I have been working for 35 years straight), but I am certainly better off, physically, financially, domestically and socially, than probably 90% of my compatriots. No man should ask for more. I can also look back and smile contemptuously at all the wise men and women who cautioned me decades ago that I was heading for disaster by living so proudly and willfully, and bring untold sorrow and suffering upon those who were dependent on me. My advice to the young: most of your elders are actually stupid, uninformed, lazy cowards, so don't order your life by their advice, learn early to be your own man or woman; 'heart within and God overhead'. The other way lies slavery and frustration all life long.

I am now a story, like it or hate it. My kind of life can be lived, and enjoyed, cocking a snook at all the conventional wisdom they throw at you, even in India. And trust me, I have enjoyed myself much more, in many more different ways, than most middle class adults can, except in their wild dreams. 

I have also learnt a great deal indeed about the whole educational system in India, with all its flaws and disgusting drawbacks. Let me mention a few of them here. 1) Not everybody wants an education, nor can be educated. 2) We have made a hash of education at all levels by blindly equating it with examination scores and degrees. 3) Most teachers are hopeless; at best they don't help you, at worst they confuse you and waste your time. 4) Some are born bright and eager to be educated; they are a joy to teach. Some others are not so bright, but they are earnest and willing to work hard: they are the only ones a teacher can help to grow. 5) Education is rapidly becoming a commercial product, and things are going to get worse very fast before a sharp reaction sets in: I wonder if I shall see that within my own lifetime. 6) As a very great teacher - trained by Tagore himself - warned me at the very early stages of my career, the key to good teaching is simply this: 'If you must teach Jack Latin, you must love Jack as well as Latin'. Very simple, very hard to do, especially when you have to deal with hordes of little horrors all your life. 7) Most children, if they are to be educated, have to be rescued from the mindless misguidance of their parents. Etc etc (a whole lifetime's lessons can hardly be compressed into one paragraph!)

What lies ahead, I still wonder... for me, for India, for humanity? But for myself, I can vouch that it has been a good career on the whole, and looking back, I wouldn't have exchanged it for anything else. I started teaching my peers, and here I am teaching the children of my older students and grandchildren of my colleagues. What a journey!

4 comments:

Sunandini Mukherjee said...

It must be such a joy to look back at a satisfying career, Sir, and one where none but you set the terms. I don't know when I will be courageous enough to take a leap to do something as daunting, but please learn that you are a great source of inspiration (I remember your remark regarding 'greatness', and do not use it lightly here).
I hope that you continue to enjoy your work. I also hope that you can now cut down on some hours, and indulge in your kind of rest. :)

Regards,
Sunandini

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Thank you, Sunandini. That was most prompt, understanding and kind.

You have my best wishes too.

Sir

Subhanjan Sengupta said...

Dear Sir,

It is amazing to see how succinctly you have narrated twenty years of experience in just one blog post. This skill of language and writing is also something that has a practice of not only the past twenty years, but the full thirty four years of academic involvement.

I wonder what envying you looks like! You hinted at haters and those who envy you. This will remain a mystery for me! I have never found one satisfactory and reliable logic from those who dislike you. Regarding the hate that some parents and teachers have, I understand that they are drowned in self imagined importance with a sense of entitlement. Parenting in India is akin to a kind of family centric feudalism. Same applies to the education system! The way children are treated and taught in India to become 'educated' by instilling fear, insecurity, and shame; these parents and teachers would have been jailed had they been in the Nordic countries.

Be rest assured that the Lord did you a great favor by pulling you out of the education system in India to run your own school. As we look back in hindsight, that was the best thing that happened to you back then. It saved you from a lot of torment and despair. And I am not over-rationalizing the past here. Yes, it could have been worse. But luck favors those who keep burning the midnight oil!

Wish you a long and healthy life!

Best Regards,
Subhanjan

Abhishek Das said...

Dear Sir,
I don’t know how you felt when you decided to quit a salaried job (considering you had dependents to take care of) that too for the sake of sticking to your ideals but after working in the corporate sector for twelve years, I can fully appreciate and marvel at your self-confidence. It’s a moment for you to rejoice! You have lived your life and followed your principles and yet managed to excel in the last 2 decades of teaching (that too without any institutional support) – nothing else can be more satisfying than that.
Now that you are better off than you were two decades ago, I wish
a. You can probably cut down on your work hours and be more forgiving to your mind and body
b. If you had some interests in your childhood or teens that you were not able to pursue, this might be the right time to reignite that passion
c. I wish your students (and ex-students) realize that there are careers other than medicine and engineering that can be far more satisfying and financially rewarding.
Lastly, I wish that that your joint venture rolls out soon and it becomes a grand success!
Regards,
Abhishek Das