Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Friday, April 22, 2022

Swimming after Covid

My hopes of a mild summer after a year when it rained every month were cruelly dashed in early March. Summer came early and ferociously this year. For the last month it has been blazing, with the temperature having soared beyond 400 C in early April. And there has been no respite: not a single nor’wester rainstorm has arrived yet to cool us briefly off. There was a day recently when it was actually hotter in Durgapur than in Delhi.

 I last went swimming in 2019. Then Covid struck, and the pool was closed for two whole years. I knew that it has opened this season over a month ago, but – call it old age, or the irritation of having to drive 24 km through increasingly dense and erratic traffic every time or just plain lost habit – despite knowing that I would love a dip, I had been postponing a visit endlessly, until today. This morning I went, and enjoyed myself just as much as I had hoped. God bless them for reopening the pool. They have opened a new one much closer at hand, but I found it to be rather small and overcrowded, so I haven’t tried it out yet. I wish there were one in every large neighbourhood. If I were really rich, an all-year, full sized, personal pool would be something I should definitely indulge on…

 A lot of people seem to be awaiting a fourth wave of Covid with what can only be called ghoulish excitement, and sound truly disappointed that though the infection numbers are very slightly rising once more, as in January, the death toll is almost insignificant. Let us see whether God gives them their kind of satisfaction! I for one am delighted that countrywide there are no takers for the booster dose of the vaccine, and most people are not wearing masks unless compelled. Madness must be called by its proper name and laid to rest sooner or later.

2 comments:

Aditya Mishra said...

Dear Sir,

I wish I knew how to swim. Summer is unbearable here in Mesra too. Mesra was famous for having pleasant weather all year long but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Last night we had some thunder and lightning but woke up to an even hotter day. No rain sadly.
One good thing for me has been 'rediscovering' the humble clay pot this summer. Simple things work well.

Regarding the 4th Covid wave, I have come across people(mostly students and recent graduates) praying for another 'wave' to avoid online exams and having to relocate to their workplaces. Sir, I think it's foolhardy behaviour and just insensitive to the millions who suffer due to lockdowns and curfews.No person in the right frame of mind would ever ask for something like this.

However, as you mentioned, most people have ditched masks and India seems to have returned to its pre-covid normalcy. I hope any such 4th wave fizzles out and we don't have to face any more lockdowns and curfews. I just don't want any more disruptions due to this like everyone.

Yours Sincerely
Aditya Mishra


Tanmoy said...

Dear Suvroda

I am glad that you could now go swimming. 24 kms - a long way though! I love swimming too. Although I am not as good as Rudra or my father. It is indeed refreshing.

The COVID fear has totally destroyed confidence of many people around the globe. I am glad that now more and more people are getting on with their lives.

Regards
Tanmoy