Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Sunday, September 12, 2021

Why do I write?

Why do I write?

As with so many other questions that I have wrestled with, answering this one clearly, cogently and adequately is important to me, even it might not interest anybody else at all. And so, as with all such things, I am writing down the answer here primarily for myself.

I write because I can. Not everybody can: that is something I have found out over a very, very long time, having been a voracious reader since early childhood and a teacher of language for many decades, over two generations. I might have sung or played music or sculpted or painted if I could even half as confidently, but I cannot.

I write because I love to. And unlike so many other ‘loves’, this one has endured. Over more than four decades, so I can expect it to endure as long as my head and fingers work.

I write because I have seemingly endless things to say about endless things, and the wellspring has not dried up yet! Has nobody marvelled over the sheer variety of things I have written about? Doesn’t matter; I have.

I write because writing lasts in a much more satisfactory way than talking does – and I should know, after having talked tens of thousands of hours for a living! That is why Hammurabi and Ashoka carved their edicts in stone, that is why Caesar and Babur wrote diaries so painstakingly, that is why some people cared to write down what the Buddha and Jesus and Mohammed said. This very (comparatively-) insignificant effort, this blog, has lasted a long time already, in relation to the average human lifespan that is. So many readers have left impressions, so many new readers keep coming to visit, so many people have sent me thanks or congratulations for writing a multitude of different things, so many people have raised questions that have been a challenge and a pleasure to answer, so many old posts come back to the most-visited list again and again… also there is a possibility that the blog, and some other things I have written, may outlast me. There is no harm in dreaming that I shall be judged more deeply, sanely, fairly, wholly, than I was in my lifetime. Writing is one of the very few ways of leaving something worthwhile of yourself behind.

I write because it remains one of the great pleasures of my life to get back to things I wrote long ago – my first published piece is now forty five years old – and relish reading the best of them. I have tried passionately to hold on to many people all my life, but I have discovered beyond argument that my writing stays with me as people just don’t. If I live long enough, I’ll probably be peering at the best writing of others as well as myself through owlish glasses long after most of my faculties are gone.

I write because I am good for very little else.

I write because those who read my writing come closer to me than others can.

I write because I love life, because I believe that writing at its best can help to make living at least infinitesimally better for others, and also because I love the idea that I am going to die, and that most of my life is already spent.

6 comments:

Tanmoy said...

Dear Suvroda

The words that you have written will forever remain.

Regards
Tanmoy

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Thank you, Tanmoy. Well, 'forever' is a long time, but it wouldn't be a bad thing if my written words outlived me by at least a few years :)

Arijit Bid said...

Dear Sir,
The words that you have written are truly incredible.

Regards
Arijit.

SWARNAVO SINHA said...

Dear Sir,

Your blogs have been a constant companion from my schools days till being a professional and will stay with me and many other alike for long.The ode to writing and this enlightening form of expression feels so nostalgic from your words.Wish you a great health and spirit so that you can keep on enjoying writing and provide us fellow readers with various nuggets of wisdom on this journey.

Regards,
Swarnavo

Saikat Chakraborty said...

Dear Sir,

When you write, it inspires me to write. When you write on a multitude of things, it fills me with wondrous hope that there is so much to learn. When you write, I know that a piece of you will stay forever with me, even after you are long gone, or I lose my memory someday. Your writing is powerful because it shows compassion. And your writing is universal because it is personal.

Take care and wish you countless more words in the years to come by.

With regards,
Saikat.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

When I say thank you, Saikat, you at least should know that it is something more than a mere form of words.

I wonder, though, why so few people even noticed the compassion...

Sir