Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Friday, September 17, 2021

I am almost free. And it frightens me.

Although I have tried to order my life by an extraordinarily strict self-imposed routine (you know I never took a jamaishasthi break in 25 years of married life, lest I should miss some classes?), and passed most of the years of my active adult life that way, it amazes me how life has nevertheless taken its own obdurate course, like a river in flood, eroding mountains, breaking banks, changing course again and again as it rushes towards the sea. So I have passed through several distinct stages, which I can see clearly see now, as one on a hilltop, looking down at the plains below through which he has trudged and from which he has climbed for so long.

First was that quiet and oppressive childhood, where my only pleasures were reading and the occasional company of my grandfather, and terror of living under my father’s mercurial tyranny. That changed when I first fell in love, and started wandering unfettered around town on my bicycle, and started smoking and drinking on the sly – early tastes of freedom, and, constricted and limited as it was, it still felt heavenly. The next stage was moving to the great city; first income, almost enough to look after myself, some exposure to the world of important affairs via print, a host of carnal and romantic affairs, encounters with harsh and sudden violence, multifarious scholarly quests, introduction to politics, travels on my own, being evicted from home for a few years – more taste of adulthood (many of my contemporaries acquired that much varied experience, I have discovered, long after thirty, and some never at all). There was a sharp jolt again when I gave up the newspaper job and university life very suddenly to return to Durgapur, and took up the schoolmaster’s job, and went abroad. A few years down the line, after staying away from my parents for a couple of years, getting married and becoming a father. The next big thing, starting the new century with a bang as it were, was quitting the job to fend for myself, all on my own. Eleven years after that, my wife and daughter leaving the hearth I had built. It was too tremendous a shock for me to have fully recovered yet, but I soldiered on, partly because I had to, too many worldly burdens to shoulder alone, and partly because I was sure that if I gave up I would go to pieces, partly because I still enjoyed it and couldn’t imagine anything better to do. And so for another eight years, while my daughter grew up, till the pandemic struck, and I had to adjust dazedly, painfully, to so many students quitting, ‘teaching online’, occasional breaks when I could resume regular classes again, only to lock down again… and that is how a year and a half has passed till the time of writing.

I begin to sense that another phase is dawning, probably the last. As with every great changeover, it has left me confused, disoriented, not entirely sure what is happening far less how best to handle it, unable even to imagine with much clarity what lies ahead, or guess how long this phase would be. Looking at it from a positive-minded perspective (which, I suppose, is always the best thing to do if at all it is possible), I am a very lucky man, for I have reached a stage where I am finally almost free – as free as a man in this world can be, largely free even of family obligations – and at the same time adult, solvent though far from rich, unconstrained by custom and superstition, and largely in possession of my native powers. Not everyone reaches this blessed state before it is time to pass on. I can at last turn my mind towards doing things I had always longed to do, but could never find the time and resources for till now.

And this very realization keeps very disturbingly drawing me back to one of the most influential books in my life, Fear of Freedom, by the great psychoanalyst Erich Fromm. The essence of his thesis was that the vast majority of human beings, though they declare their love of and desire for freedom so continuously and clamorously, are actually terrified of the reality of freedom, because (except in very rare situations, like wishing to be free of some sort of unbearable tyranny as one wishes to be free of toothache) freedom entails responsibility, and the imperative of making choices, and the necessity for hard decisions – the need to examine one’s own mind and make up one’s own mind, than which no task in this world is harder. What kind of freedom would I really enjoy for any length of time? What do I really want hereafter?

For now, I have been seeking solace in returning to books with a vengeance. This may sound strange to those who know me really well, because they are aware that I have been an avid reader virtually all my life. True enough, but the fact is that reading had been 90% of my life between ages four and sixteen, and I used to be able to get literally, happily lost in books during that time of my life, and I haven’t been able to read in that absorbed way ever since then. For too many worldly cares interrupted too often and too insistently. Until now. So now, I am trying to go back to a place which I left behind a very long time ago. But no matter how engrossing, reading cannot be, at my age, the whole of life. What do I want to do with the rest of it? From suicide to seeking God in all earnest, I have not yet been able to make up my mind.

5 comments:

Tanmoy said...

Dear Suvroda

Good wishes to you always in all your pursuits.

Returning to books with vengeance sounds tempting!

I will be interested to hear from you whether other than the epics, did you ever experience that certain books appeal to you differently when you have re-read them in different phases of your life? For example, something you read in 20s and say you read them again now and probably your views/interpretation changed? Does that happen? If so which books and why?

Regards
Tanmoy

Swarnava Mitra said...

Dear Sir,
I am reminded of a Zen story. A brash student once asked his teacher, 'Master, can you sum up Buddhism in one sentence?' The teacher smiled and replied, 'Everything changes.'

I know you have read most spiritual texts of Hinduism and have a mental faculty far greater than most men. I am suggesting is that you can try turning your mind to Buddhism. I think it can help one deal with the changes in his life. Again, knowing you I know you have probably read their spiritual texts too. Yet I am harking on this one because there is a great debate in Buddhism regarding the atma and anatma - what is me and what is not me? I know this philosophy exists in Hinduism too but they draw a very different conclusion from Buddhism. Further, there are different schools of thought in Buddhism too. Talking of a spiritual guide, I know Thamma is with you now. I think she can be of some assistance in this quest.

This was in no way a lecture, because I know I am not learned enough to lecture you on any topic in this world.
Yours faithfully,
Swarnava Mitra.

Nishant said...

Dear Sir,

Two things you bring up towards the end of the post remind me of discussions I'd had with my friends in recent times.

The first is about freedom and what we'd do if we were truly free to do as we chose. On thinking about this, I realised, from my own perspective, that at any given time, there are realistically a few options available. Sometimes those are explicit, while at others, not so much. The simplest example for me is working in academia versus working in the industry. In the former, one has to think of a topic to work on: one which is of interest, is relevant, might result in a paper that will bring in citations, for which there might be grants and at least a student or two available to work on. In the industry, it's much simpler: my boss would ask me to work on a certain topic or, in the best case, ask me to choose from a couple. I much prefer the latter because the former involves expending too much energy on things I don't really want to concern myself with. I am happy to be in a position where I have a very specific goal to work towards. But I also acknowledge that that won't always be the case. Even within the industry, once I reach a certain position, I'll be the one to choose topics of interest and delegate them to people further down. In the broader sense, I feel this is true of life, in general, as well. Sometimes we are caught up in something and we just keep on with it. And then we reach a juncture where we must stop, take stock and make a decision. I am a very indecisive person (for instance, I always have buyer's remorse) and I find making decisions very stressful, even if “I couldn't go wrong either way”.

The other is about how easy it used to be to engross myself in books completely as a kid. I had inherited a huge collection of Enid Blyton, Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew from a family friend when I was eight. I remember reading late into the night during our summer holidays, very easily being transported to the English countryside, going on adventures with The Famous Five or the Adventurous Four, with dogs, caravans, breakfast consisting of ham and sausages and tins of marmalade, to boot. I feel though that I have been growing more aloof from the characters in the novels (the occasional Graham Greene or Le Carre, for example, now having replaced Blyton and the others): I am more of an observer than being one of them, images seem a bit hazy where once they were crisp. It's as if my Pensieve has developed a problem! I blame it partially on myself: age, being scatter-brained, letting my mind wander on to useless or unnecessary things. Technology certainly hasn't made it any easier. Sometimes, the only way to shield myself entirely is to take my book or Kindle (basic version, without a browser), walk to the nearby park, lie down on the grass, far away from my laptop or phone or any other tasks I might be reminded of and tempted to attend to straightaway.

I don't envy anyone who has to make a big choice or decision. I do know that it will be incumbent upon me at some point, as it has before. I wish you the best.

Sincerely
Nishant.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

To Tanmoy,

Oh, it has happened with many books. Chiefly a function of age and changing perspectives, even maybe tastes and ideals (or loss thereof!). I wept over 'Love Story' in teenage - and I was not a normal teenager, remember - but found it rather silly and mushy twenty years later; with Pather Panchali, my attention and sympathy has shifted over the decades from Apu to Durga to Sarbojaya and lately to Harihar; very recently I re-read Amitav Ghosh's The Hungry Tide, and though I found it as powerful and moving as before, I now find the (to my mind entirely unnecessary-) obscenity disgusting, and falling-over-backwards sympathizing with feminist ideas irritating.

To Nishant,

Nice metaphor about the pensieve! I am glad that you do still read a bit, and found it interesting to learn how your way of processing your reading has changed. As for making tough decisions, we all have to take some at certain junctures in our lives...

To Swarnava,

No offence taken, but some people who know me would laugh to read you advising me to consider Buddhism, when that is precisely what I have doing with much concentration for more than thirty years now. In fact, what I consider to be my finest piece of non-fiction is 'My Master's Word', a meditation on the middle path. Right now, however, reflecting on 'everything changes, everything passes' is not helping me much! Weigh also this conundrum: why did the same ideology which so strenuously preached non attachment to all impermanent worldly things also lay so much stress on actively diminishing all kinds of worldly suffering - from saving animals to setting up hospitals?

Swarnava Mitra said...

Dear sir,
I read your work My Master's Word. Thank you for sending it to me.
You are quite observant in noting the same essence of leading a good life being present in the scriptures of various religions. This is a fact that we need to understand, especially in these troubling times, to overcome the blinds that are being drawn over our eyes.
You were one of the first to notice what one might call The Buddhist way in Science(considering this was written over twenty-seven years ago). We use science as a tool but often fail to notice the philosophy being pointed out by the methods and their results. This you have shown clearly, with scientific evidence, in this essay. I have nothing to add to it; I can only agree with it.
Yours faithfully,
Swarnava Mitra