Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Monday, August 23, 2021

Postscript to urgent appeal

I am writing a postscript to the previous post, and the postscript is being written in a far more sombre mood than the original.

The good news first.  The day I put up that post, the fund had attracted a princely donation of five hundred rupees; within two days of my appeal, it had topped one hundred thousand (the latest figure is about Rs. 142,000+). The great bulk of this amount has been contributed by a relatively small number of my ex students (and some parents of current students): the kindest and most decent of them, needless to say. My grateful thanks to all of them. The husband of the sick woman is ecstatic; he keeps telling me how thankful the family is, and that this amount was beyond their wildest dreams. That is good. The chemotherapy can at least be restarted immediately.

However, they are managing to make me feel deeply inadequate and guilty, because it is only too obvious how small the amount raised so far is, given the size of their need. It is also making me feel very bitter to think about how little success I have had over a lifetime of trying earnestly to persuade thousands of young people to grow up into socially useful, sympathetic, giving human beings, rather than merely ‘successful’. If a few more hundred of my ex students (and the parents of many hundred current students) had contributed generously, the fund would have already grown to ten times what it is, at least. It seems that a family jaunt to MacDonald’s or a cinema which costs them more than a thousand rupees is perfectly par for the course, but donating the same amount or a little more to save a person struggling to fight off untimely death is a horrific excess! May many people learn how important it is to help out others in distress only from going through the same experience with their most dearly loved ones: in this heartless world, I don’t think there is any other way.

I would never ask for monetary help for myself. I have known poverty, I have slogged for four decades to rise above it, and I prefer to put my faith in karma, or God, as you will. What I deserve I shall get no matter how many people try to stop it, and what I don’t deserve I won’t, no matter how much I pray, or how many pray for me. However – call me schizophrenic if you like – I also believe that if we all cared a little more for our fellow human beings, especially those in distress, not necessarily financial – it would go a long way to making a nicer world. One of my lifelong endeavours has been, therefore, to create a network of good, caring people, who make friends with one another, stay in touch regardless of their own troubles and woes, and help one another out in times of dire need. That was one major reason why I started writing this blog. Some old boys had suggested that in this internet age that would be a very good way of staying in touch. It didn’t quite work out that way, but let that go.

I have also been able to help a lot of people, mostly ex students, all through these long years, when they were in trouble, either through direct personal intervention (counselling, giving a patient ear to their laments when no one else was willing to listen, lending money, etc etc) or by putting them in touch with other ex students who were in a position to give a hand. Many of my readers know that they have been beneficiaries, though some of them would like to forget their debts – not to me, but to humanity, to God. (It has never ceased to amaze me how frantic and insistent people become when they are in serious trouble, and how quickly they forget once those troubles are behind them, how indifferent to other people’s troubles they can be). If the network were wider and stronger, I am sure that a lot more people could be similarly benefited. So I was wondering whether I should make one more effort to bring together the best people I know, my most beloved old boys mostly, in the hope that something good will be ignited. A platform where a lot of people will be able to make friends, wide apart in age, education, experience and location, but united by a common desire to make real friends (rather than ‘frenz’ on social media), interact to ward off one of our commonest, most painful problems – to wit loneliness – and help one another with every kind of gesture: attentive time, money, counsel, mentoring, being there when no one else is, I hope you get it. Do you think I should start off a Whatsapp group specifically with that goal in mind? Those of my readers who are interested – adult, earning their own keep, preferably my own ex students – should let me know, here via comments or directly by Whatsapp.

9 comments:

Ruby mitra said...

Yes Sir...why not.you can add my whatsapp number ....always ready to help others and want to learn more from others. Its really a wonderful thought.

Ruby mitra said...

Yes Sir...why not.you can add my whatsapp number ....always ready to help others and want to learn more from others. Its really a wonderful thought.

Subhanjan Sengupta said...

With a comment to this blog post of Sir, I reach out to all of Sir's students and readers to share some of my thoughts on this matter. Please pardon any language errors as this has been written rapidly in spontaneity!

Take a pause from your mundane everyday life for some reflexivity. Think of the loss and deprivation that we see all around us today beyond our immediate boundaries. Some of us, ourselves and along with our near and dear ones, have faced immense hardships in the past few years, including the shock events we see today at a global and local scale. Think of all those who have lost or are at the brink of losing all that is near and dear to them.

Look at the hundreds and thousands of people leaving everything behind just to board a plane like sheep and cattle to leave Kabul for a completely uncertain future. Imagine the life of the refugees and immigrants feeling persecution and facing as much hostility in the host country as it was at home. Imagine the future of the 1.5 million children who have been made orphans just by the deadly flu which even the best of healthcare arrangements could not defeat. Imagine the lives of the millions of people whose dwellings and everything in them have been completely eliminated by the sheer number of floods in this year alone, leading to an economic loss amounting to more than $50 billion. Think of the 18 million jobs lost only in Asia due to the pandemic; many of whom may have family members suffering from their last breath, children with any prospect of education destroyed, or they are left alone to fend for themselves as their wives or husbands or children have been sacrificed at the altar of nation-states with misplaced priorities and rotten systems.

If you and I are one of those who are very fortunate today while many perish around us, it underscores the responsibility and sensitivity that we need all the more now than ever. Every food we eat, every penny we spend, and every person in our family we are able to hug, is a blessing at times when there are so many who are paying a heavy price for no fault of theirs.

Can we do something, no matter how small it is, in the direction of giving back even a fraction of the blessings that destiny has bestowed upon us with utter kindness? Can we do it not once, but again and again, so that we can tell ourselves that in times when the world was going dark, we played a small role in our own way in spreading some love and illumination?

Can we really go to sleep at night knowing that we did absolutely nothing when we were given all the chance that we needed to do some good? I certainly cannot! What about you?

Swarnava Mitra said...

Dear Sir,
I think you should try one last time, and count me in if you do.

On multiple occasions, you have provided me with contacts of your ex-students and goaded me to use this network. And I must thank you for what I have gained. I, on the other hand, stay in contact with Pratyush and try to provide any little assistance I can. This new group could potentially benefit many like us.

However, there is a possibility that the group will not have tens of messages every day and would lie dormant for ages unless someone decides to break the silence. I still think it is worth one last effort.
Yours faithfully,
Swarnava Mitra.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

You are one of those who remember how often and how much I have tried, Swarnava. Thank you. Yes, I was hoping that it might help a lot of people, not just me. I certainly won't expect lots of messages in that group every day: all I'd expect is that the members do look it up whenever there is a new message, even if there is only one in a fortnight, knowing that it could be something non-trivial, and urgent.

Right now, I am not very encouraged. I saw a comment this morning from someone who said s/he would be very interested in joining, and couldn't even be bothered to sign his or her name! Goes without saying I didn't bother to post that comment here.

Sir

SWARNAVO SINHA said...

Dear Sir,

Yes sir whatsapp group would be a great initiative and creating a wider like minded and empathetic network system would be much more feasible through the app in future communications also.

Regards,
Swarnavo

Prosad said...

Sir, I would like to donate Rs 2000 for now if you can kindly share with me the account details..

Your ex-student,
Proad Sen ( St. Xavier's 1999 passout)

Prosad said...

Happy Teacher's day to you Sir!

I express my deep sense of gratitude and respect for you because of the great foundation you laid in me, in English. Also you are the one who helped me grow a love for History & Civics, which otherwise I didn't like.

I am Prosad, your ex -student.. I would like to donate Rs 2000 (Two Thousand) for this cause for now if you kindly share the account details with me.. My email ID is prosads@gmail.com and Whatsapp no. is 9382246895.

Thank you.
Yours sincerely,
Prosad Sen, St. Xaviers 1999 passout.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Thank you, Prosad.

Just click on the link I have given in the previous blogpost ('An urgent appeal') and you will get all the details.

Sir