Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Tuesday, January 12, 2021

A most delightful evening

I hugely enjoy old boys dropping in for a chat, but I spend most evenings alone, or only one visitor like that turns up. So it was most exhilarating to see several of them knocking at my door today, one after another, just after my classes were over. There was one from the '94 batch, come to consult me about how his son should handle his studies, one favourite from the 2002 batch and another from 2007 who has almost become family, another from the the 2016 batch and another, 2019. We chatted gaily over cakes and coffee, and then went out together for my regular walk. It was all topped off by a phone call from Kolkata, someone else who has kept in touch ever since he left school in 1998. I wish I could enjoy more evenings like that: I'd have looked and felt fifteen years younger.

It was Swami Vivekananda's birthday today. Google ferrets out so many relatively obscure Indians with no very great claim to fame to feature on their doodles, but evidently he was not found worthy!

4 comments:

Aditya Mishra said...

Dear Sir,

I was talking to my parents (both teachers) about you the other day when I mentioned how fondly swarnava speaks of you and that most of your old boys still have some connect with you.
Both of them said that as teachers they feel really happy when an old student recognises them after so many years and tries to keep in touch.Some of them are married now and introduce their children too who are studying in the same school.

I am quite sure I know how happy you feel when this happens and one day would like to have this exact feeling.

Aditya Mishra

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Thank you, Aditya. That is indeed one of the few genuine pleasures in a teacher's life.

Sir

Deep Blue said...

Hi Sir , it was so great to chance upon this blog of yours . In fact another of your student passed this link to me. Relived everything of our school days and was so nostalgic going through your blog . I am Sankhadeep from the class of 1995 pass out .. I still remember the days of Julius Caesar and helping us interpreting those profound dialogues !

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Thanks for writing in, Sankhadeep. I wish I heard more from the likes of you, who have good memories. Best wishes.

Sir