Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Monday, September 23, 2019

Writing on the wall

Two years ago, in a dark and anxious mood, I wrote a post here titled Farewell to Tagore? Do look it up. And in this connection, read Professor Sukanta Chaudhuri's very bitter satire in today's newspaper regarding how dangerous it is becoming to read and quote and swear by Tagore these days. History repeats itself in very unexpected and sinister ways...

But as I said before, I actually wonder about a far deeper malaise. Does this entire country - or at least that vast part of our population which is below 35 - care? And the way they have been brought up, does civilization and culture mean anything to them at all, anything worth respecting and preserving? Whether I look at youngsters 'living it up' in pubs or politicians of all hues bickering like the most vulgar of riffraff in our most august institutions, universities and legislatures, I tend to think not.

Besides, who says that we must lament because the liberal-democratic ethos is under threat from authoritarianism of various hues? My view, which has been hardening over the last two decades at least, is that liberalism was a very big lie anyway, always was: they are liberal only when they can have their own way, unchallenged. So whether they are free traders or feminists or gays or vegans or environmental activists or whatever, and however loudly they scream from the rooftops about their commitment to the sacredness of personal freedoms and the right to free thought and expression, when the chips are down they only allow you the freedom to agree entirely with them - and if that is not intolerant authoritarianism in the flimsiest disguise, what is? Now one of my strongest beliefs stemming from a close reading of old and contemporary history is that when any ideology inclines too far towards insanity, it invariably provokes insanity of the reverse kind in reaction. So now all over the world a lot of straightforward strong men (mostly men, yes) unfettered by sympathetic consciences have begun to call a spade a spade, and are going all out for a return to honest, in your face authoritarianism - the way the world has been run for millennia, actually. Who pretends to be surprised, and why?

1 comment:

Swarnava Mitra said...

Dear Sir,
I found Professor Chaudhuri's piece interesting and inspiring yet saddening. Incidentally, I was reading Tagore recently, and I remember you calling Tagore 'Sokol Pather Saathi' (companion of all paths). A few months ago, I said in a debate that Tagore is still close to our hearts. I wonder how true that is. I also stumbled upon another interesting fact. The play, Dak Ghar, was produced in Nazi concentration camps during the Second World War. I don't comment very often because usually, I have nothing much to say.
Yours faithfully,
Swarnava Mitra.