Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

A little slower, if you please!


About twenty five years ago, long before mobile phones and the internet became ubiquitous, I wrote an essay about whether the relentless speeding up of life is doing us much good. I put it up among the earliest posts when I began writing this blog.

In my newspaper today, I found Professor Samantak Das of  Jadavpur University warning and lamenting about what is happening to us in a world that is always ‘connected’, and everybody is always busy and determined to form and voice instant opinions on everything. I had a very strong sense of déjà vu. These are things that I have noted and commented upon long ago, when I was still a young man, and unlike Das, who might be about my age, I made up my mind about how to handle the situation long ago too, much before mobiles and the Net apparently ‘revolutionized’ our lives. Have very few friends, do not stay connected all the time except to the handful of people who really matter, give yourself time to think before opening your mouth, and, heeding advice given more than four hundred years ago, ‘give every man thy ear but few thy voice’. Actually, in my case, it’s ‘give few men thy ear and even fewer thy voice’ – I stopped talking unless I am getting paid years ago.  While travelling in the US almost thirty years back and meeting a lot of very diferent kinds of people, from factory workers to doctors and policemen and teachers, journalists and university scientists, it occurred to me that I could have meaningful, thought-provoking conversations only with folks below ten and above seventy. If anything, that is what has come to India with a vengeance. As Shakespeare also said, and I have listened, ‘how every fool can play upon the word! I think the best grace of wit will shortly turn into silence, and discourse grow commendable in none only but parrots.’ Want to bet that our internet era wouldn’t have surprised him?

There are many kinds of ‘busy’ men, with or without phones. There are the Zomato/Amazon delivery boys. I thank Providence every day that I wasn’t required to make a living that way. There are cabinet ministers and business tycoons, who handle great affairs all the time. I am glad I wasn’t chosen for a life like that: I have greatly enjoyed spending my time mostly my way, at peace, at leisure, all by myself and a few loved ones. And then there’s the most numerous, most contemptible aam admi, with all the time in the world, dressing up, partying, boozing, quarrelling, zooming about on bikes, shopping, obsessing about acne or children’s marks, living utterly empty lives of the mind, furiously 'busy' spewing all their filth all over the internet. Imagine a wise Martian monitoring our radio waves. What conclusion would he draw about the nature and content of our ‘civilization’?

Hermits have the best lives, I have often thought. And in this day and age, when you cannot withdraw to lonely hills and forests, you can live a good life only if you can make a hermitage of your own mind…

Professor Das has said that it is important to think. I have been a compulsive thinker all my life; if anything I think too much (a trait that my daughter has inherited!), and of late I have been consciously trying to revv down, to let my mind rest now and then. So his lament makes me smile wryly.

But in an age when even great policy matters are being decided and disseminated instantaneously via twitter, can civilization, or democracy (as distinct from majoritarian tyranny) or even sanity survive? In an age when most 'educated' people, such as doctors and engineers, won't even understand what that question means? 

5 comments:

Suvro Chatterjee said...

An interesting article in today's newspaper which should be read in conjunction with this post:

https://epaper.thestatesman.com/2270552/Kolkata-The-Statesman/4TH-AUGUST-2019#page/6/2

Also, to those who are seriously interested as well as literate, I would strongly recommend Bertrand Russell's 'In praise of idleness'.

Shilpi said...

Dear Suvro da,

Thank you for writing an essay of this sort. This, “Speed” and your post “What is eternal?” belong to a type of thought and writing that resonate with some of the things I still think about or feel strongly about. Some of the thoughts voiced by Professor Das in his article actually reminded me of some of what you said recently in your UBI blogpost.

I think the problem is not limited to the leisure to think or even the fact that human beings can stay connected a lot more (all the time if so one wishes!) via technology or life having gotten faster with “this sense of life unspooling ever faster with every passing moment…” – I think it has a lot more to do with something you have mentioned decades ago and Prof. Das mentions in the linked article – it has much more to do with people who do not know how to fill their leisure hours or even their so-called productive hours.

I have had the thought that the way human beings have rapidly developed technology to make many things in life easier, faster, more efficient far surpasses the pace or even interest that we paid to developing the human consciousness, conscience and whatever mental and other faculties we possess (and have become dormant or even died) in our march towards civilization. Maybe it takes longer or more effort – but I don’t even think that we have with concentrated effort even tried or even felt it to be something very important. Whenever a technological marvel erupts from a person’s mind (whether that be home-food delivery or instant messaging or on-line shopping for goods or services) – it is seen as a definitive mark of great progress in the human condition.

Technology gives one the choice of typing faster and far more efficiently – but it doesn’t tell me what my thoughts must be or what my views about this-or-that should be. Technology allows me to access a humongous lot of information but it doesn’t tell me what I must do with it. Technology allows me to communicate – it doesn’t tell me what or why I should communicate. That – as far as I understand – has to do with processing whatever information, knowledge, thoughts and views I have access to.

And who is shoving the burden of faster means better if it’s not us humans? Or that everyone being very “busy” or “stay connected, always” is a marvellous thing? The “busy” bit or this meaningless constant communication with people always reminds me of The Little Prince. This is also connected with something else. We have been – as a race – more interested in the “how” of things rather than the “why” of things. I must hurry onto add – lest I be thought of some idle romantic – that I don’t think the how is less important but surely the why deserves just as much importance (if not more) in our march towards civilization? For the best distinction between the how and why one can look up your chapter “On dreams and daydreams” in your book for Pupu.

The “hermitage of the mind” as being necessary for a good life is so perfectly put that it is a phrase I shall borrow. Regards, Shilpi

Arya said...

Hello Sir,
Well, I might be too young to comment on something as serious, a topic as this, but I could atleast try to write something which I feel about this. As I'm growing up, I can feel, how hard life seems to be, and how people who seem to be the dearest, are no way to be found in the next two or three years of my life. People think getting into some good engineering or medical college, is the ultimate objective of life, and life beyond that is not worthy of living.
The so called "advanced" generation, can never think of living a life, without a phone in their hand. We can never know what real happiness is, actually. I'm learning to be happy on my own, to value peace, and learn to let go of the unnecessary people in life, something, I have learnt from you, over the years, and I'm so grateful I did.
- Arya.

Tanmoy said...

Dear Suvroda

Thank you for writing this post.

An elderly cab driver in Sydney once while driving me was incessantly getting distracted by messages on his phone. Hence, he sought my permission to stop and check his messages. To his utter surprise they were messages from his 10-year-old grandchild who was getting bored. He called the grandchild and told him just to sit in the yard and possibly see how many squirrels and birds he could spot if he has nothing else to do – he mentioned, it is fine to get bored from time to time and reflect! Then, he looked at me and reminisced, how he and his brother grew up in old school Australia where there was nothing much to do but then they spent lot of time in the yard either during the day or night just being with nature. He mentioned, we never got bored and if we did, we preferred that.
The story above may be utterly irrelevant but to me it resonated. Somehow in a busy, heartless corporate world, I see these sort of impatient, irritable and overdependence on performance syndrome every moment. If we wear a realistic pair of glasses, to be very honest it is hard to find a simplistic, happy person in offices. If that is indeed the case in good old New Zealand, where generally people have had a privileged life compared to many other places, then it is scary what is life elsewhere.
Having said that, I also feel parents who are caught in the transition will eventually wish their kids don’t fall in the same cesspool that they have got into. Accordingly, if they are smarter they will guide their kids to something entirely different. Problem is kids are growing up lonely as well. Gone are days when we were surrounded by friends and family all the time. These days, kids generally are less talkative, more politically correct and flex their muscles mostly on the social media behind pseudonyms. However, we can only hope that the changing times will ensure only the ones with sanity survive and I want to be optimistic.

Regards
Tanmoy

PS: Sincere apologies if the above comment is irrelevant to the post but somehow, I felt like writing this.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Arya, I am very pleasantly surprised and heartened to see a young girl commenting so thoughtfully on a post such as this, and if you think I have been able to be of some lasting help to you as a teacher, I shall remain deeply grateful to Providence for that. If my blessings count for anything, you will find real peace and happiness in your life.

Tanmoy, thank you very much indeed for that most apposite story. It instantly took me back to a photo I took in Central Park, New York, one morning 28 years ago, of an old man quietly and happily feeding squirrels and birds... I hope your own son grows up just the way both of us would like.

What a privilege it is to be able to address ex students so varied the same way - one female, the other male, one 17, the other past 40, one here in Durgapur, another in faraway New Zealand! I have reason to be happy indeed.