Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Friday, June 28, 2019

Anne Frank and my daughter


Five years ago I wrote a post about how my daughter had been invited over to Amsterdam by the Anne Frank House organization for an all-expenses paid international students’ conference. I still feel bitterly sorry that I had to refuse permission – because I was too scared to let her travel absolutely alone. The memory rankles. But there has been a wonderful sequel.

Gillian Walnes Perry, co-founder of the Anne Frank Trust UK and its executive director till 2016, got to hear about Urbi’s work as a peer-guide trainer and contributor to the Anne Frank House newsletter, then read Urbi’s blogpost on the subject of her experience, got in touch with her, and has mentioned her extensively in her new (2018) book, The Legacy of Anne Frank. I cannot resist the temptation to quote from the book (Chapter 27, Anne Frank in the Indian Sub-continent, pp. 249-252), a signed copy of which Ms. Perry has been kind enough to send over to us:

“Urbi Chatterjee was another one of the peer educators trained in Kolkata. She described reading Anne Frank’s Diary of a Young Girl in primary school (at my behest, it goes without saying – SC), and how she still sees the book as an important part of her childhood. However, the Peer Guide training workshop  gave her the opportunity not only to learn more about one of her favourite characters from literature, but also the larger, social, economic and political situation of Anne’s era, ‘such an important and infamous time in history’. When I read Urbi’s blog and saw that she wrote very much in the spirit of Anne Frank, (my highlighting – SC) I emailed her to get to know more about her experience of the Anne Frank project. She did not disappoint…. (and then Ms. Perry goes on to quote extensively from my daughter’s blogpost, concluding with the following lines – ) Am I alone in thinking that Urbi writes in her blog in the spirit that Anne wrote her ‘blog’ of seventy years before? Anne, described by her maths teacher Mr. Keesing as ‘an incorrigible chatterbox’ and who by her own admission loved to chatter, and Ms. Urbi Chatterjee, whose own childhood was so marked by Anne’s writing. I believe that these two girls, Miss Chatterbox and Miss Chatterjee, living nearly a century apart and a world away, could have become the firmest of friends.”

My daughter is, to a very much larger than common extent, my lifelong and singleminded labour of love. And, to a very much more than common extent, I am today a proud father. I brought her up to believe from the bottom of her heart that getting a real and good education is supremely important, that it is meant for things infinitely more important than doing well in exams and getting decent jobs early in life – and look! I have been totally vindicated, in the sense that not only has she done excellently in academics right till her post-graduate course and got several of the kind of jobs that tens of millions of parents in India are willing to kill for, but also, at the age of 22, been mentioned in the same breath with a world-renowned and revered figure. Maybe I have managed to be a real teacher to no one except her, but I shall still sleep content.

12 comments:

Krishanu Sadhu said...

Dear Sir,

Congratulations to your daughter for the well-deserved recognition for her work. I wish she adds many more feathers to her cap in the coming days.

I was blessed with a baby girl this January . I hope someday I will also be able to proudly echo your words about Urbi being your lifelong and singleminded labour of love about my daughter too. I hope I will be able to lead her to a beautiful enriched life and become a proud father too.

Regards,
Krishanu

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Thank you, Krishanu. My blessings to your daughter. And I shall say 'amen' to your prayer.

Sir

Sayan Bhattacharya said...

Dear Suvro'da,

This is a superlative achievement by Pupu and many congratulations to her and to you too. A comparison to the legendary Anne Frank and such an exalted mention of it in the publication is something to be tremendously proud of! Please convey our heartfelt congratulations and good wishes to Pupu.

At the same time, the fact that she is receiving multiple offers of employment is very heartening to hear, and I wish her all the very best!

Truly, this is a great vindication of what you have always professed, stressing the primary importance of good and serious education and developing one's intellect. Whilst we as your students have constantly tried to imbibe in our lives, the essence of such guidance and advice from you, Pupu's achievement outshines all and we are extremely happy at that... happy for her, and happier for you, Suvro'da!

Best regards,
Sayan

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Thank you for the kind words, Sayan. I am grateful, and Pupu is delighted.

Suvroda

Sunup said...

Psalm 127 says --
"Children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from him.
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth.
Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."

Sir, you are indeed blessed to have a daughter like Urbi, who proved/is proving herself more than a quiver-full of children.

Regards,

Sunup

Suvro Chatterjee said...

So kind, Sunup. Thank you very much indeed.

Sir

Sreetama said...

Congratulations Sir,

I can't imagine of any prouder moment for a parent than this one !
Prayers for Urbi's long successful journey ahead.....

and sincerely hope to imbibe at least fraction of your precious insights as a parent and teacher, so that probably someday even we could proudly share such achievements of our kids.

Regards,
Sreetama

Subhasis said...

Dear Sir,
Our hearty congratulations to your daughter, and best wishes from us for her future. It is not often that fate confirms ones abiding life principle(s), and in that sense, it is indeed a divine blessing.
May God bless her and you for a lifetime of good health, happiness and many more such success stories!
Warm regards,
Subhasis Chakraborty

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Thank you kindly, Sreetama and Subhashis.

See, Sreetama, this was the reason I wasn't worried that the Ashoka experience might 'spoil' Pupu. If anything, it has only confirmed her in her convictions regarding what kind of friends she does not want to have, and what kind of jobs she does not want to do!

And Subhasis, that was very wisely said. Genes count for a little, and early nurturing for quite a bit, but Fate does take a very big hand too. As a teacher who has watched children grow up into pathetic adults by the thousands despite the best efforts of nice parents, I know just how lucky I am; which is why I am so grateful to Providence.

Sir

Harman said...

Congratulations Sir! Indeed a very proud moment as a parent and teacher.
I cannot believe that Urbi is 22 already. It seems just like yesterday when you proudly announced her arrival into this world in your letter.

I wish her the most success in life, and more power to your elbow to continue writing.

Warm regards,

Harman

Tanmoy said...

Dear Suvroda

Better late than never! Such a proud moment for Pupu and you. I hope she continues to shine and touches more in this world with her brilliance.

Regards
Tanmoy

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Harman,

I am delighted and grateful. I didn't know that you still visit my blog! And thank you, Tanmoy. You have always been there.