Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Google Doodle pathos

Of late, Google Doodles (the cartoon you see sometimes when you log into the Google India home page) has been ‘honouring’ notable Indians, especially women, on their birth anniversaries. I think it’s not a bad effort when I consider that the average netizen in India (definitely ‘educated’ in today’s utterly trivial sense, typically a B-grade engineer, journalist or sales manager) would probably never have heard about most such people otherwise, but it makes my lips curl with disdain when I reflect that Google does this cynically, with its eye on nothing but the bottom line: this is their way of currying favour with that (large-) section of the Indian populace whose custom they want to attract – nothing more and nothing less. So today they have drawn attention to Mahasweta Devi. Now she happens to be one of the few contemporary Indian women (well, all right, not exactly contemporary: she’d have been 92 today, and died in 2016) I happen to respect, and mine is not the kind of respect that is here today and gone tomorrow. Ask around in Durgapur about how many people besides me remember the once-legendary Father Gilson of St. Xavier’s and still talk about him eulogistically whenever the opportunity presents itself. But I wonder – will Google’s way of remembering make any real difference to anybody, and to M. Devi’s ideals and aims in particular? The ET story says the Doodle has ‘immortalized’ her. Do people like her need Google to be immortalized, or is it the Kim Kardashian and Donald Trump types who do? Yeah, yeah, I know the latter are vastly more numerous, so that proves what exactly?

3 comments:

Aveek Mukherjee said...

"Dark times are ahead"- Professor Dumbledore.

Swarnava Mitra said...

Dear Sir,
I knew you would write something on Mahashweta Devi. When I saw the doodle, I read your post on her demise and followed the link. Most people remember her for Singur and Nandigram, not for being the scholar she was. A scholar who did tiresome research for Jhansir Rani. She described India with the following words, “My country, Torn, Tattered, Proud, Beautiful, Hot, Humid, Cold, Sandy, Shining India. My country.” I respect her as well.
Yours faithfully,
Swarnava Mitra.

Subhanjan Sengupta said...

Sir,

This Google Doodle is just a marketing initiative, to have more 'customer orientation' and to develop a connection with the people of that country where they are showing the Doodle (they do not have Doodle in all countries). The objective is to draw people of that country towards the brand, and inspire them to have more transactions for Google products and services. And there is a very high probability that the ET article is a highly paid PR platform for Google. Therefore, I hardly take the Doodle seriously.

Yours Sincerely,
Subhanjan