Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Sunday, January 13, 2019

January note


First off, I find it strange that I asked in a blogpost about your predictions for general elections 2019, and no one replied. Is it because no one noticed the question, or because most of India is holding its cards very close to its chest? If that is the case, most exit polls will get the results hopelessly wrong.

I managed to watch Thugs of Hindostan, and I cannot figure out where the loud chorus of disappointment around the country is coming from. There’s good cinematography and passable special effects, enough razzmatazz to please the average cinegoer, the storyline is no more ahistorical and silly than the average Bollywood concoction that manages to break all sorts of box office records, and Aamir Khan – I rather liked his Firangi Malla act, by the way, regardless of the unacknowledged debt to Captain Jack Sparrow – has himself got away with far cruder and sillier things before (remember how someone in Three Idiots getting an electric shock by peeing onto to a wired spoon became wildly popular?), so what’s the problem this time around? Don’t tell me the great unwashed masses of India have suddenly matured so much as an audience that they can’t accept such puerile entertainment any more, and are pining for Godard and Truffaut and Kurosawa?! I myself know a moron who found Queen to be a great movie and now thinks Thugs does not make the grade!

Anyone going to the Kumbh mela this year? Do let me know. My father went to the purna kumbh back in 1977 (it happens once in 144 years), when Prayag saw the largest ever gathering of human beings on the planet. I’d like to know how it goes this time, seeing that there is a yogi at the helm in UP this time, and he has reportedly pulled out all the stops to make the event the grandest imaginable spectacle.

By the way, don’t believe the kind of idiots who live away from Delhi and complain about its bad air. Oh, it’s bad enough, of course, but all the breast-beating you hear on facebook and twitter is journalistic nonsense. I wintered in Delhi, and believe me, the air is worse in my Durgapur. On the other hand, I miss Delhi’s greens and wide open spaces terribly.

I came back to Durgapur in 1987 poor and confused. Then God gave me a modest opportunity, and I built patiently and laboriously on it. It’s been 31 years. I am looking forward to (at least semi-) retirement in five years’ time. My material needs have always been modest, and now that I have brought my daughter up to adulthood, they have become even more so. Simultaneously, people’s demands on my time and effort have become more and more insistent over the last decade. Also, my many other attempts to be useful to society have never been much appreciated. Even worse, people make use of my services then by and large forget me at best and badmouth me at worst. So – and current and recently-ex students, do warn all those you know who are planning to get their kids admitted to my tuition this year – I have grown impatient and intolerant. Any parent who tries to throw his weight around at admission time (‘I’m a doctor/engineer/high official’, ‘I’m a very busy man’, ‘I want you to adjust to my convenience’…) will be sent away with a flea in his ear; I’ll simply thump the bell and growl ‘Next!’ Given that the queue is longer than I can handle and lots of people are waiting to hear that there are a few vacancies still, I will not take any lip from people whose contemporaries were my pupils 25 to 30 years ago; people who I know will not be of the slightest use to me after they have paid me my fee for the last time. I would like to take in only those pupils whose parents are absolutely determined to get their kids in here, and will behave politely and accommodate to all my conditions. All those who have problems with that, please don’t turn up at my door. You have been warned.

4 comments:

Subhasis said...

Dear Sir,

Thank you for a very well written post.

Having thought a little bit about the upcoming elections, here are my two cents.
I think the current party will remain in power but only holding on by the slimmest of margins. In other words, a coalition government beckons. In large parts of India, people will vote against the present government but the more populous regions will be in favour of the current incumbent.

The reason for this is two fold

1. The opposition does not have a viable candidate with enough authority to lead the Prime minister’s office. This is not a confirmed scientific opinion, but only a feeling among the masses.

2. A large part of India, the bourgeois’ will vote in accordance with what has happened to them over the last 5 years, and a large part of what has happened is in relative terms good. There is more wealth, more malls, development of infrastructure and so on. These in comparison to the global problems of corrupting institutions (as the opposition party likes to put it) will not change the mindset of the average voting Indian, who only checks if good has happened to his/her immediate family.

Warm regards,
Subhasis Chakraborty

Saikat Chakraborty said...

Dear Sir,

I have a hunch, not based only on logical analysis but a good serving of emotion, that the current government will lose in a fiasco similiar to the 'India Shining' in 2004. The Vajpayee government did significant work but lost due to wrong priorities during the elections. The current government is mostly pomp and show through the social media and the 'Bhakt' brigade but there is a silent majority of farmers, daily wage earners to unemployed youth who might upset the game for BJP. While Congress governments were mired in corruption, they never forgot to pay lip-service to the poorer sections through Common Minimum Programs, 100 day-work or now Universal Basic Income etc. And that impression helps in the elections even if there is no charismatic leader at the forefront. However, Modi can play dirty and we never know what tricks he might pull at the last moment.

I did watch Thugs of Hindostan recently and it was an entertainer. I am surprised that it didn't go well with the audience whereas, as you pointed out, far cruder things have received mass approval. Also, I did quite enjoy the movie Queen and I would like to know your thoughts on it.

With regards,
Saikat.

Sunup said...

Dear Sir,

I think that in the coming elections, the State heavy-weights, like DMK, TMC, SP/BSP etc, will play a major role. UPA and NDA might be evenly poised and it would boil down to who these State heavies align with. Some political pundits are saying that should NDA fall short of majority, they would prop up people like Nitin Gadkari (some say even Pranab Mukherjee) to pull in the third-front seats as many of them are not opposed to BJP per se but only opposed to the Modi-Shah duo.
By the way, BJP knows that they would lose many seats in UP and Bihar and hence have set their eyes on Bengal. Yesterday's CBI versus the State drama is a pointer to that. But I feel the original street fighter Ms. Bannerjee would be a tough nut to crack for the thugs of Gujarat.

Regards,

Sunup

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Thank you, Subashis, Saikat and Sunup,for commenting here. I do think that these elections are going to be interesting. And Sunup, you're right about Ms. Banerjee vs the BJP, but I wonder, doesn't the BJP know that too? Is this merely a kind of shadow fighting, or do they really believe they have a chance to make a big dent in Bengal despite Mamata, or are they foolishly handing her leadership of the nationwide anti-BJP coalition on a platter?... also, I think there's no doubt that if the BJP majority in the Lok Sabha becomes razor thin, there will be a leadership challenge within the ruling party itself: far too many dislike the Modi-Shah tyranny intensely, and are only waiting for a chance before they bring out the daggers...