Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Tuesday, April 02, 2024

A Rhino's Horn


I read this lovely little book titled A Rhino's Horn, by Farhan Shaikh, a few days ago. A heartwarming story about a little rhinoceros who suffers from great anxiety, self-doubt and humiliation because he lacks the tell-tale sign of machismo - a horn. However, thanks partly to his mother's quiet but unwavering support and greatly through his experience of protecting and caring for a wounded baby deer, he finds confidence, strength of a different sort, and a sense of fulfilment which helps him to forget, or do happily without, what he lacks. 

Living in a world that is dark and depressing for the most part, I found it delightful and redemptive to know that there are young people around, still, who value such things as gentleness, kindness and goodness enough to write about them - and write very well, too.

The text is beautifully illustrated by Asuma Noor.

I cannot pay a richer tribute than to say that the text and illustrations together brought back to mind classics like The Little Prince and Bambi, as well as movies like How to train your dragon.

Amazon says that the book is fit for readers in the 8 to 14 age group. Of course it is, but I found it good reading too, and that, as those who know me will agree, is saying something. If more schoolteachers read such books and learnt to appreciate what they are saying, there would be much less badness in our classrooms.

I am prouder than I can say that my daughter Urbi worked as the editor on this project.

6 comments:

SILENT SNIPER'S JOURNAL said...

I agree with you completely.

There's no such parameter except for some social prejudices , that can curb an organism from looking one of his own kind, or behaving as such.

If it were true, that teachers had access to such ideas, there would be a considerable amount of change in their behaviour which they inflict upon us basing on solely their performance in classrooms.

SILENT SNIPER

Sunandini Mukherjee said...

Dear Sir,
It is good to read this review. I leafed through the book during the admissions, and was delighted to see the illustration. I remember certain books from my childhood, both English (Rupa and other publishers) and Bangla (mostly Deb Sahitya Kutir) which had such tales on virtues like kindness and generosity, even in the face of seemingly impossible woes. They have stayed with me more than many books for 'grown ups'. Will borrow it sometime. :)
Regards,
Sunandini

Saikat Chakraborty said...

Dear Sir,

Thanks for the review; I will definitely get a copy.

On a related note, I recently heard from a Turkish-Armenian couple (who just became parents) that one of their family traditions is that no family member is allowed to see the child without bringing a copy of their favourite children's book. Indeed a lovely tradition!

With regards,
Saikat.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Lovely, lovely tradition indeed, Saikat.

I gushed recently when Koushik said that the daughter of one of his friends asked for a good book for her birthday. Little do her parents realize how rare a treasure such a child is in this country.

And Sunandini, thank you for reminding me of all the wealth that Deb Sahitya Kutir provided me all through my childhood.

Rajdeep said...


Sir,
Congratulations to Urbi and to you.
I hope I can read this book with my son in the future.

Tanmoy said...

Dear Suvroda
Congratulations to Pupu. So proud to know about her achievements.

Thanks to my own independent writing exploits, I do come across a lot of independent children books’ authors writing on a variety of nice topics. Independent authors of children’s books at times struggle for funding their publications, or even get good editors, illustrators but generally the intent is good. I tend to speak to them when I get time and I admire that they are still working towards something which I believe is a noble cause.
Regards
Tanmoy