Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Wednesday, November 03, 2021

Harry Potter again

I have begun to re-read the Harry Potter saga – and watching the movies in tandem. Already finished HP and the Philosopher’s Stone (and now into The Chamber of Secrets).

This time – maybe this is a regression to the child’s mind – I am reading primarily for the thrills, chills and spills. Yet, all those wonderful words of Dumbledore’s come back…

‘Ah, music! A magic beyond all we do here’.

‘It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live’.

‘The trouble is, humans do have a knack for choosing precisely those things which are worst for them’.

And the grandest utterance of them all: ‘… to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure’.

Christ, he said that in the very first book. The awareness of the inevitability and perpetual nearness of death has been a continuous thread all through the saga. And one of the dumbest real people I have had the misfortune to know, once a teacher (!) in a local girls’ school, scorned these as ‘children’s books’. God help us.

[some new readers might want to read what I wrote on the subject of Harry Potter last time round] 

2 comments:

Priyankan Datta said...

Sir,
I find myself re-reading Harry Potter, Lord of the rings and rewatching the movies more friequently that I would like to. If you love fantasy and would like to spend a considerable amount of time in a single universe which is probably as complex as Mahabharat then you can surely try the Malazan novels.
With love,
Priyankan

Saikat Chakraborty said...

Dear Sir,

The Dumbledore quotes also reminded me of the poem 'Swimmers' by Louis Untermeyer where he mentioned..."Death is but a long and vivid holiday.".

With regards,
Saikat.