Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Sunday, April 18, 2021

Meditations on death and dying, part three if you like

I was very tired at the end of secondary school, because I had suffered such a nasty, brooding childhood, and had read so much (it takes my breath away to see how little the vast majority of ‘educated’ people have read by age 16 these days, but maybe it’s good they haven’t…), and had grown up so achingly lonely and misunderstood.

Then came eight years in Kolkata. Went through high school, college and university; broke my heart over a love affair that was doomed from the start, had a very bitter disillusionment and rejection inside the family, read vastly more than anyone I knew, had more than a little brush with the working world, suffered the ghastliest of physical pain over and over again (look up memoirs of things like how a friend cut out a festering carbuncle with scissors and forceps with no anesthetic beyond ice and alcohol), discovered how utterly unsympathetic and downright nasty so many people could be, fell seriously ill, was thrown off the ladder of career advancement by a soulless fate, and came back to my home town. I was more tired than I could have believed I could be eight years ago. I had no idea how I could get on with life.

Life picked me up and got me that schoolmaster’s job. Then for a while it was roses and sunshine, though there were dark patches enough in between. I found a calling, and gave my heart and soul to it. It brought me rich rewards, in many forms. Despite much angst and heartburns and nasty unexpected turns of fortune every now and then, it was on the whole a wonderful time. For a while, I forgot the tiredness and bitterness and sense of futility aching in my bones.

And then my daughter was born. No, it was as if I was born anew, and truly, ‘bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, but to be young was very heaven’. It was as if I had finally found what I had been longing for with all my being all those barren years behind me without knowing it: not religion, not politics, not socializing, not philosophy, not money-making, not romance, but the sheer, unadulterated, all-fulfilling joy of bringing up a child.

Two decades and a half have rolled by since then again. So many thousand pupils have passed through my classes in the meantime: so many have adored me and gushed over me, then forgotten me or remembered only to badmouth me. So many small and major cataclysms in the family, including yet more heartbreaks, and bringing home the parents I had thought I had lost forever, gradually losing my most loved ones including my lifelong dogsbody, my grandfather then my father, and watching my mother slowly growing old. My wife and daughter leaving the family hearth and moving farther and farther away, not just bodily but in mind and soul. I keep on ploughing my lonely furrow still, mostly because there’s not much else that I am good at, and it at least keeps me sane. These last years have been merely slogging away, pulling the oars relentlessly towards a dimly visible shore that now often seems like a mirage, knowing more and more that the world grows increasingly boring, repetitive and unrewarding, and eventually it will come down to dragging on mere bodily survival; ‘sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything’. Only hoping it won’t drag too long. Some people are so lucky; they are still working like a horse according to their old, old routine when they just drop down and die. Well, I do at least hope that it would be only a matter of days or weeks, not months or years. So you can treat this post as the third installment of my Meditations on death and dying… not everyone, at least at my age, and having lived the way I have, is afraid of dying as such. Which is why I feel like throwing up, in this pandemic context, that so many people, even much older than me or with parents who have long passed three score years and ten, are wetting their pants to think that they or those close to them might die off soon.

Greatest lesson learnt from this sojourn on earth: most people don’t care for us for what we are, and the very few who do are not understood, let alone appreciated. The mother of an ex student, now pushing fifty, recently communicated to me, after complete silence for nearly a  decade, saying she wanted moral and spiritual counselling from me, because, to quote her, I am different from everybody else she has met in her whole life. In very polite terms, I told her to buzz off: I am too old to get involved. She should have asked twenty five years ago.

If there is something called an afterlife, not a return to this world, please God.

8 comments:

Rajarshi said...

Dear Sir,

I can't agree more with your last sentence.

I sometimes worry about the sort of suffering which lies ahead for my daughter who is just two and half now. I want to take all the knocks that come her way but I know that is not possible. The world, and especially this country, is only going to become a more unpleasant, uncaring and unsympathetic place as she grows up.

There is something more fundamental I have wondered about - why do people celebrate when a child is born when we all know that the life ahead is probably going to have more suffering than anything else. But then that is what probably makes us human.

As always, this post also touched something deep inside me. I wish I would comment more frequently here.

Wishing you the best of health in these times.

Regards,
Rajarshi

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Thank you, Rajarshi. Yes, I wish you'd comment more often, too :)

I am delighted to hear about your little daughter. As you have rightly said, any good parent would give all to take all the knocks in their children's lives upon themselves, but life doesn't work that way, and perhaps that is all for the best. How will they grow up and savour all life's blessings otherwise? But if our prayers and benedictions count for anything, they will have better lives than we did. I only hope they are thankful for it.

Best wishes,

Sir

Neha Gupta said...


Sir,

Mark Twain once said "The secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." I don't know about success but sometimes food definitely fights some loneliness inside.On that note,I am again trying some new simple snack recipes and sooner I shall treat you with one after I am done with the final semester. I assure you, I won't take a decade for that **Grinning face with smiling eyes**

Regards,
Neha

Suvro Chatterjee said...

I don't know how my latest post provoked this comment from you, Neha, but thanks very much all the same. I loved the 'gujia', and I shall look forward to the next treat you bring along! :)

Sir

Diptokirti Samajdar said...

Dear sir,

It is heartening to hear you say that life's difficulties are a part of that which makes the good in life more enjoyable. It brought to my mind the saying, 'the unexamined life is not worth living'.

May you keep writing your blogs for many many years to come ahead. Your blogposts make me feel more in touch with the world and is a treasure trove of wisdom for readers to explore. Your body of work is splendid indeed and reading it habitually has given me more pleasure and help than a thousand distractions. I only hope and pray that you may continue to render us this invaluable service of writing for us in your very own idiosyncratic style in all times ahead.

Yours admiringly,
Diptokirti Samajdar

P.S. hope you are not feeling too under the weather with the pandemic, I am missing Durgapur and conversations on your porch very much. Hope to remedy that once my ongoing degree ends

SWARNAVO SINHA said...

Dear Sir,

This blogpost is like that empty feeling attached with an enlightening truth which though throws a severe punch on the face but calms us with its serenity. Innumerable chords are strung in my heart through your sentences and I could literally visualise the flashes that you painted in the journey. I hope this suffering of mere human existence connects people all around who not only suffer physically but more emotionally, spiritually which is often hidden inside the painful souls. May Sanyas be the way and I pray that let life help you connect with the divine in its wholesome form.I also pray that may you write the second half of your novel with an enlightening smile on your face and find GOD. Do keep writing sir and may HE bless you.

Regards,
Swarnavo

Noodle said...

How I wish I had read this post before we met last. I guess, next time over coffee and shomoshaa...err..shingada!

Suvro Chatterjee said...

I wish you had elaborated, Chitra!

Sir