Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Goodbye 2020, and don't come back

2020 is finally drawing to a close. Virtually every human being will agree that it has been a year like no other in living memory: much worse, even, than the years of world war, I think, because the vast majority of humankind then went on with business as usual, and did not stay cooped up at home in mortal fear, though they knew that tens of millions, no, hundreds, were dying or becoming maimed for life, or destitute, or losing loved ones. It has been tumultuous, infinitely wearisome, difficult and utterly disorienting – on that, too, most people would agree. A relatively small number have also enjoyed it hugely, one way or the other (it is incredible how many people can actually be quite content staying at home doing virtually nothing other than chores for months on end!) and even made sudden huge fortunes or reputations (like ‘experts’ whom nobody had ever heard about before crawling out of the woodwork to luxuriate in their moment under the sun spewing every kind of nonsense and insanity to fuel and sustain the panic). I shall not make a survey of the thoughts of vast swathes of mankind here, though, only put on record bits and pieces of my own experience and reflection.

I experienced early (semi-) retirement. It has been enough for the rest of my lifetime. I have vowed to keep working till my dying day hereafter, so help me God.

The single bit of joyous good luck that I revelled in was that circumstances allowed me, after many years, to spend five whole months with my daughter in three installments: something that only a ‘pandemic’ could have arranged at this stage of our lives. I shall be ever grateful for it.

I was also, thanks to learning about how to conduct ‘online classes’, somewhat freed from the iron shackles of routine that had bound me tightly for three decades: as I have noted before, I shall always stay in touch with my pupils via the internet in future, so that there would be no serious interruption of studies even when I take it into my head to make quick, short and unplanned getaways.

I was even more deeply embittered about the mass of mankind that surrounds me than I had become over a long working life, as I gradually found out how many people – parents of students – are shameless frauds, and will cheat a teacher of his fees after taking advantage of all he has done for their children for months on end. This, after I had voluntarily reduced fees and accommodated every single parent who talked about difficulties by telling them to pay only partially at long intervals. Since I was not keeping tabs and not forcing them to pay regularly online (not having imagined that this absurd shutdown of the entire educational sector would continue for so long, nor that so many people could be so disgustingly dishonest), I was taken for a ride by many ‘clever’ folk. Thank God there were many others of the decent sort, who have supported me loyally all through these difficult times, so that I tided over the crisis without any really serious financial hardship. I do wish we lived in a country where the old, old rule dushter domon ar shishter palon (suppression of the wicked and nurturing of the good) was imposed with an iron hand. I am also truly glad that a lot of parents, and even some students, the more interested and sincere among them at least, are beginning to agree with me that exclusively online studies just do not work over any length of time.

I went travelling to Bangalore and met up with a few old boys back in February. I mention this because it seems to have happened in another time and place…

My daughter had just started on her first job when, after seven months, the lockdown began. Ever since then she has been working from home. She and her contemporaries are going to have a very different experience of life than our generation, that is a dead cert. I hope they cope well.

Pupu has said that their entire circle of friends have decided to forget 2020 once and for all when the new year dawns. It would be nice if that pledge can be kept. I shall look forward with a vengeance to the return of normalcy in 2021. And since everything else has more or less opened up, from tourism to transport, from malls to gyms, from factories to beauty parlours, I shall pray that the schools and colleges too would open up, and soon.

Pupu is twenty four today. Quite the grown up woman. Have a very happy birthday ma. It’s been many years since we were apart on this day. I wish you godspeed with all your enthusiasms and endeavours in the year ahead. Above baba, there is only God, and may He dispose generously.

7 comments:

Aishik Bandyopadhyay said...

Good evening Sir,

Before anything else, I would like to wish Didi a very happy birthday.

I too am greatly relieved that 2020 is drawing to an end. I remember seeing a message on WhatsApp at the beginning of 2020. It predicted that this would be a horrible year(Bish e bish). Hats off to them. What an accurate prediction!:)

Above anything else, I am missing my school the most. The online classes could not reproduce the efficiency of the offline classes, though they were meant to be a replacement for the normal classes. I consider myself fortunate enough, that I at least had the things which were needed to attend the classes. What about those who did not have them? Nobody thought about them at first...

I wonder where those 'experts' have gone now : those who told that everything would be normal by mid-May. This kept changing with the passing of each month, until I heard that this curse would be over by November. Their 'expertise' yielded nothing but false hope.

Anyway, every cloud has a silver lining. At least, I would not be left short of stories to tell my grandchildren.:)

Yours sincerely,
Aishik Bandyopadhyay

Tanmoy said...

Dear Suvroda

Happy Birthday to Pupu. Best wishes.

Regards
Tanmoy

Deyasini said...


Dear sir,
Its so refreshing to read your blogs. You often said that your blogs are an extension of your classes and I've experienced that vividly for years now. A funny thing happened on the 30th. I was out with my parents at Baranti and I saw someone uncannily similar to you. And the man looked back at me. I was walking with Dad and thanks to all our masks, we almost recognized each other but didn't. Even as we walked past, I was still looking back and I could see the man looking at me. It just felt so absurd that I just wanted to share it.
Anyway, Happy New Year sir and a belated happy birthday to Urbi di.
Love and regards,
Deyasini

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Aishik,
Imagine: I had to wait for the year to end before someone pointed out the Bish e bish thing to me! Something to wonder about, indeed!

Tanmoy, thanks a lot.

Deyasini, good to know you remember what I said about the blog. And no, I was nowhere near Baranti on December 30, so it couldn't have been me. Happy New Year to you too.

Atmadeep Sen said...

Dear Sir,
Happy New Year sir. Finally 2020 ended and a new decade has began. We all are hoping this new year as well as the decade to be good and peaceful. I was very glad to see that you decided to continue teaching even after your 60s. I remember once in our class you told that you will stop teaching after your 60s,I felt pity for my younger brother at that time as I thought he will not be able to experience your marvelous teaching. But I am happy that this lockdown made you to change your mind about retirement(positive effects of lockdown),this will help hundreds of students.
And belated Happy birthday to Urbi Didi. I really find her story series very interesting .

With regards,
Atmadeep Sen

Rudra Bhaskar Singh said...

Wish you and your family a very happy new year sir.

Love and regards,
Rudra Bhaskar Singh

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Thank you, both. Have a truly happy new year. And Atmadeep, I am currently only 57, so whether I shall still be teaching 'after my sixties' (meaning the 70s and 80s, if I'm around till then) is anybody's guess. But maybe there will be time to deal with your brother!