Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Friday, October 09, 2020

In Delhi

 My family has been through a very nasty crisis - certainly much worse than in 2015 when I broke my leg and was partially incapacitated for nearly six months, and even than 2017, when my father died a slow and painful death - and it is still far from over. Nevertheless, because every cloud has a silver lining, I have, after prolonged reflection, decided that it has taught me a few valuable lessons which I shall live by till I pass on. Most significantly, that nobody except blood (my daughter) really cares (if some do, they live too far away to be of any practical use) - those who picked me up and took me to the hospital when I had that accident were mostly strangers, and those who helped during my father's troubled last days were mostly paid service-providers.

For whatever duration I live hereafter, I shall have to go it alone (even more than Harry Potter, I have realized this rather late in the day), barring maybe only my daughter, and that too if she is around to help  before it is too late. The flip side of the coin is, I can forever stop worrying about the welfare of other people. The world is welcome to take care of itself. Meanwhile, in my desperate loneliness, it has been wonderful to stay with my daughter and help with the housework. Living out my old age before I had anticipated it, and I can't say that I don't like it, even doing the dishes and taking out the trash!

3 comments:

Sujoy Basu said...

I have a small wish in my live. At one point in my life (I don't know when it will be possible), I want to leave everything and everyone behind, go to the hills (my favourite place being Sikkim) and spend the rest of my days in isolation in a small cottage with just bare minimum to survive and my sketches. That's probably the most peaceful end I can think of.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

You meant 'life', of course, Sujoy, not 'live'!

Your comment is welcome, but I couldn't see how it fits into this particular post of mine. I think you might look up some of my travel-related posts: I too have an abiding love for the mountains (Sikkim included, though I'd give Gangtok a miss; it's become too congested and nondescript for my taste).

Sir

Sujoy Basu said...

Sure Sir travel related post porte khub i bhalo laage. Amar traveling er chobir saathey travel experience porte khob moja laagey. It actually gives lot of information about the place visited. Seriously Gangtok is too congested than what I have seen before. Sikkim e Pelling ta tao ektu bhalo achey ekhono.