Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Saturday, February 29, 2020

Mourning the desecration of a great language, again


When you watch any video on YouTube these days, you are sure to be accosted by an advertisement of an app called Grammarly which very aggressively insists that you need to know and write correct English in order to make a good impression on everybody around you who matters. And that is precisely what I have been trying to teach a lot of people all my life. I don’t think I have had much success.

English has, as everybody knows, spread far wider and deeper in India after the sahibs left. We are often called the third largest English speaking country in the world, and given the speed with which the use of the language is spreading coupled with the sheer size of our population, the time may not be too far off when Englishmen and Americans and Canadians and Australians who hiccup or wince to read or hear ‘our kind of English’ will have to accept, however ruefully, that that is the kind of English they will have to live with hereafter, every great user of yore from Shakespeare through Abraham Lincoln and Wodehouse and Hemingway and Jawaharlal Nehru be damned.

Now as I have often said, I am not a rigid purist; I have always known and been comfortable with the idea that a living language is a flowing, ever-changing thing like a river or a tree; that the writer of Beowulf would have been as uncomfortable with Shakespeare as Shakespeare with, say, J.K. Rowling, and I have absolutely no quarrel with the possibility that a genuine Indian English might be evolving: witness R.K. Narayan, Amitav Ghosh, Chitra Banerjee and Jhumpa Lahiri. What I cannot stomach is that so many Indians, including so many who firmly believe they are well-educated, mangle the language, spelling and grammar included (I shall not even begin to talk about pronunciation and accent), simply because they could never be bothered to learn Received English well. Consider the following (very small and unfinished-) list of the kind of expressions we use:

We are like that only.
Cousin brother, return back, repeat again.
Shifting houses, not moving.
One of my brother (not brothers).
Avoiding ‘the’ (‘PM says that…’, ‘Punjab is in turmoil’) where needed, and slipping it in where it makes no sense.
He told that/ He said me that…
Bunking classes (most Indians haven’t heard of ‘cutting’ them!).
Friend circle, head injury, chalk piece, spot dead.
I am having a child (and yet I am not in hospital!).
Going for shopping, regret for doing something.
Putting ‘but’ at the end of sentences: He is a good teacher but.
Doctor Vijay, Vijay Uncle.
Sir, I can tell the answer? (instead of ‘Can I …?’)
Comming, shinning, writting (come and see the homework books I correct to find out how common these spellings have become: the culprits in fact insist that many of their teachers spell that way!)
Catched and teached and striked (believe it or not).
Did not came, did not had (this is becoming near universal – these days I am pleasantly surprised when a pupil actually says or writes ‘did not come’)
No idea about the difference between ‘few’ and ‘a few’, ‘little’ and ‘a little’.
He suggested me to try that book/ He insisted me to go with him.
Using ‘society’ to mean ‘neighbourhood’: as in ‘there are a lot of stray dogs in our society’.
No idea about the difference between a flat and a block of flats.
He has got very less money (few Indians know any longer that ‘less’ is the comparative degree of the adjective little, and must be followed by ‘than something’).
More better, more cooler.
Number of ointment tubes in the carton: 20 nos. (why not just 20, for heaven’s sake? And how many even know or care that no. is not really the English diminutive for ‘number’, it derives from the French ‘numero’? Ask yourself, did you spend half a second in your entire student life wondering where the ‘o’ came from?)
Telecasted, forecasted (I read such words in our foremost national English dailies these days).

I could double the list without reflecting overmuch. It makes the likes of me cringe with shame and embarrassment. I quite understand that most of my readers are not likely to have such intense feelings: I happen to worship languages, and English in particular, so to me they are cardinal sins, like doodling a moustache and putting horns on a Venus de Milo. But my point is, those of us who think and say that ‘misunderstanding’ means a girl standing below because they are first generation learners who haven’t had the chance to learn enough may be forgiven, but should teachers and journalists with post-graduate degrees use the same excuse, and feel equally shameless?

I’ll add to this post in a day or two. Do come back to visit.

3 comments:

Swarnava Mitra said...

Dear Sir,
I used less instead of low in a story and you pointed it out. A year ago, I saw a classmate write something utterly ungrammatical and others hailing that as an epic. I was so pained that I wrote a small paragraph titled 'The cold-blooded murder of the English tongue'. Here it is:

Why can't people leave it alone? If you don't respect or love a language, for God's sake, don't vandalize it. Professor Henry Higgins remarked in My Fair Lady, 'They should be hanged for the cold-blooded murder of the English tongue.’ Although this example pertains to the English language, this corruption is not limited to English alone. I am not saying we should give up writing altogether. My view is we should not ruin the language that has been cultivated, manured and enriched by great authors. Imagine how Shakespeare would have shuddered or Tagore would have wept to read what some contemporary creatures write and share? I was taught by a teacher who tried to cultivate a genuine love and respect for the language. It gives me great pain to watch the language being mutilated by some heartless oaf and people watching and applauding it. I don't believe everyone is blind and those who are not please be honest and don't fuel these morons who think themselves to be no less than Shakespeare or Tagore. 

P.S.: I am still waiting for your long email.

Shilpi said...

Hello Suvro da,

Thank you for writing and sharing this essay. I couldn’t help but gurgle at some of these – which though common are awful to come across (one can either cry or laugh hysterically). The “Doctor Vijay” or “Vijay uncle” used to gnaw on my nerves when I was very young. Now – the hackles rise, but – I don’t feel mortally offended.

“I am having a child” made me pause until I realised it has to do with the Indian penchant for the present continuous. We often have laughs in our lab about how the simple present is always turned into a present continuous for no reason. “I am writing this email with the intention of informing you that I will not be coming to the office on Friday as I will be holidaying…” It is the same problem that Indians have with the definite and indefinite articles. Adding them where they stick out like hairy ears and not using them when they must be.

I have a pet peeve against the misuse of “like”, and all of the fine young folks in our lab and me decided to start a “like” jar for every time that anyone used the word inappropriately. If we had been keeping an actual tally – I would have been the sad and shameful winner for an entire week.

The use of the hanging “but” at the end of a sentence perplexed me till I was appalled (and also guffawed): “khub bhalo teacher kintu!”

A lot of people seem to have forgotten the use of (the conditional?) “were” in a sentence: “If I were a messiah – I would…”. Many people look at me (if even over a telephone) with raised eyebrows when I add that “were” is the correct form.

But before I get too full of myself, and pop! – and this will make you cringe – I have to ask about the “head injury” – because I don’t know what exactly is wrong with that one. Is it that the correct expression should be “an injury to the head” or that there should be an article: “a” head injury? I typed “head injury” into Google, and it showed me lots of articles on the same, and I have been wondering about this one since I read this post – and I still do not know. We also had discussions at the office about this one. As for the “nos.” – I never once thought of where the mysterious “o” comes from till your post.

Thank you again for this post. – Shilpi

Aditya Mishra said...

Dear Swarnava,
I remember that event vividly.
I came to your hostel room to discuss about this and you showed me this very paragraph.
It is evident that you were taught by a teacher who taught you to respect a Language and its beauty.