Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Thursday, March 07, 2019

Is Durgapur a smart city?

On the website of our municipal corporation, they ran  an opinion poll in 2017 asking you to vote on the above question. How do you think I would have voted? (the poll is now closed)

I have criticized people's choice of words for as long as I remember, and I won't let go of this opportunity. It is people who can be smart or dumb, not phones nor cities. If you think the word goes with such things, I have reason to question both your intelligence and grasp of language. And don't tell me that merely a lot of people using words inappropriately (or just plain foolishly) makes their usage valid, and that I have to fall in line.

Moreover, for all its pretensions, Durgapur is far from being a city - yet. For one thing, the population is too small by Indian city standards, and secondly, even by the poor Indian standards, it lacks far too many amenities/facilities which go into making a city. It's a large town, that's all.

But if for the sake of argument I were to accept that it is a city and it could become 'smart', what would I look for to give it that certificate? 

  • All its roads must be well built, -maintained and -lit.
  • Traffic control must be stern enough to make driving and walking a safe pleasure for all decent and sober folk (footpaths along all major roads is a must).
  • Air pollution - which is just plain horrible at present - should be brought down drastically.
  • Clean water supply, modern sanitation, sewerage  and conservancy services must be available to all.
  • Public transport should be comfortable, safe, affordable and available round the clock.
  • Government hospitals must be vastly better endowed and more efficiently run.
  • Above average students must find decent jobs and business opportunities within a 50 km radius, so that they don't have to leave in droves for greener pastures as they have been doing for the last three decades.
  • Noise pollution, especially during the myriad festivals, must be strictly curbed.
  • There should be excellent local facilities available to encourage young talent in diverse spheres, including sports, music and the other fine arts.
  • The elderly and infirm should not feel lonely, insecure and uncared-for.
  • Airlines should connect us to most major cities.
  • There is only one real park in the city at present, the Kumarmangalam Park. There should be at least five or six more in different zones.
Well, yes, that is only my opinion, and I could jot down at least ten other desiderata offhand. But won't most of my readers agree that if only the above twelve things are taken care of, Durgapur could really take a shot at ranking among the 'smart' cities of this country? And until that is done,who but a fool would think that merely making as inessential a thing as free wi-fi available at railway stations and shopping malls could persuade anyone at all to start calling us smart?

I know our mayor is a decent and educated man, an experienced retired civil servant, and full of good intentions. But is he listening?

2 comments:

Saikat Chakraborty said...

Dear Sir,

I can think of two more things right now- fire safety guidelines should be strictly implemented and followed at all places- residential or otherwise, and emergency services such as ambulance, police should be available at the press of a button (something like 911). While it is the responsibility of the corporation and/or government, we also need to think about the general awareness of citizens. If we are happy with free wi-fi and don't ask the right questions, then why would the government care? I remember you telling me about your efforts to build public support for a swimming pool. And it ended up being a temple! It amazes me how you still don't give up and keep trying to make us more conscious about what is important.

With regards,
Saikat.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Thanks for commenting, Saikat. I hardly hear from you otherwise.

As for why I keep trying, that's what keeps me alive. Keep pushing the stone up the mountain as long as you can! But no, the truth is that I am withdrawing ever so slowly into a shell: about most things these days, I have stopped caring most of the time.

Sir