Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Friday, September 06, 2024

Teachers' Day surliness

I kept my phone silent almost throughout yesterday. Otherwise I'd have been driven to distraction by the constant pinging (or whatever they are calling  it these days) - dozens of phone calls and hundreds of 'Happy Teachers' Day' messages - and could neither take classes nor attend to visitors as I do every normal day. I said a curt thank you to all those who posted in various Whatsapp groups of current and ex-students: to the countless individual messages, I did not respond at all, simply because it is beyond me. 

Well, no, not really - there is another reason. Such messages, coming from people who choose to remember you as a ritual on one single day in the year, and that too mostly driven by the herd instinct - 'I am sending a message because so many of my peers are doing it, and I am terrified of being left out' - frankly bore and irritate me. No offence to students - I feel the same about Fathers' Day, Friendship Day, Valentine's Day, Earth Day and all the thousands of other special 'days' around the year. If you have to remember any particular person or event only one day a year because custom and habit dictate it, well, it's worth nothing in my book. There is a tiny number of old boys and girls who remember and care and keep in touch all year round, year after year, and those are the only ones who matter to me. Sorry about the rest. Pause for half a second before you take offence: wouldn't you feel the same about people who get in touch with you dripping love and gratitude only on one particular day of the year? At least if you have been dealing with it for many decades at a stretch? Honestly?

This is the post with which this blog is probably going to cross the one million page views mark. I'll be watching...

2 comments:

Pratyush Banerjee said...

Dear Sir,

I have not much to say related to this post, as I agree with your principle of not respecting a person only for a particular ‘day’. If we truly desire to respect someone, we should do so on a daily basis.

Regarding this post, I want to congratulate you on a million page views. What you write in this blog deserves more than a million views. I hope that you will continue to write for a longer period and make this blog fruitful for the readers. I hope more people will come across this blog and will learn something from here. And I also request you not take too long to start your podcast. :-)

Regards,
Pratyush.

Souhardya Saha said...

Hello Sir. This is absolutely how I feel when people I don't even know the surnames of wish me on my birthday. Also one million views?! That's one achievement. Will be meeting you soon, will be visiting your "abode" again, positively before the Pujas. Take care Sir.