Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Edging towards retirement

My new classes have got off to a good start. Once again.

This year, after ages, I have shut off one batch. That's a beginning. As I have been meaning (and threatening) to do over the last few years, I intend gradually to reduce more batches, until by 65 (God willing) I am working only five days a week. After more than forty years non-stop at it, I shall have earned it, surely? Millions of people never work more than five days a week in all their lives, and some of them tell me they are bone weary after earning their living for only five years!

The threat is now beginning to work in earnest. Only minutes ago the mother of a current pupil rang up to say that I absolutely MUST carry on at least until her younger child is through. I have heard this hundreds of times before. So I laughed, trying to mask my irritation. There will be children and children forever ... how long must I continue? how long can I? Who thinks about me? Don't I have a right to retire, like everybody else? And besides, the harsh truth is that within a few years the same people will forget  that I even existed. That is the rule of the world. They will find a substitute, for better or for worse. Who remembers the legendary Father Gilson today, except for a few oddballs like me? Given how 'busy' and distracted people are these days, very few of even my favourite ex students are likely to recall me ten years after I am gone the way my generation and older ones used to recall their old favourite teachers long gone.

Maybe I shall make a rule for the last few years ... that only  kids from families which have sent at least one student earlier to me will be taken in (there are families which have sent me six or seven!), and maybe a few others strictly by lottery while there are still a few vacancies? I should like to see how that works.

I would have liked, in my older years, to have kept in touch with a lot of interested people via the internet, especially through this blog, and maybe through platforms like YouTube. That, I have decided with a sigh, is not to be. It may also be that some old boys and girls, including my daughter, would find me work to do that I can go on doing from home, at my workstation. I have been used to 'work from home' since long, long before that idea came into vogue (it was the norm for aeons before the Industrial Revolution came along, but who cares about history?)

Otherwise, being the kind of private person that I am - many people do not know this - I should prefer to keep my own company and counsel for the most part. That would be vanaprastha enough for me. Only those people should keep visiting who know deep at heart that I am always glad to see them. 

In continuation of something that I wrote in a recent post, our times will probably be remembered as a period when for most people, nothing really happened. What I meant was, I see that events all around us leave so little mark on our memories and psyches that it really seems nothing matters for more than a day or two, maybe a month or two, any more. Even apparently deep, private griefs are forgotten with astonishing, not to say shameful speed. That is the price we are paying for hankering after sensation and spectacle and novelty every waking hour of the day. The more 'exciting' things happen, the more ephemeral they become. 'Humankind cannot bear very much reality', said the poet.

4 comments:

Subhanjan Sengupta said...

Dear Sir, I am glad to read this post and happy to know that you have taken the first steps towards retirement. Trust me you are fortunate to be not among those who have to cling on to their position (chair) of power till their last breath with the hope of remaining somehow relevant, while everyone one else in the organisation keeps cursing them behind their back. I can picture you very much of a content man fulfilling lots of things on the bucket list in the second innings of your life. It is well deserved! Warm regards, Subhanjan.

Sunandini Mukherjee said...

Dear Sir,
I must say that it gives some of us relief to learn that you have started to lessen your workload, after years of relentless labour. You had been planning it for some time now, and Lord knows that you deserve it! I agree that people will find poorer substitutes in years to come, but like I keep saying, a few students will always remember what you taught us- pursuit of knowledge, and a tireless work ethic.
Retirement can become a lonely affair (I have learnt it by watching my father), unless ofcourse one engages in work that feeds the soul. I pray you find some of that.
Regards,
Sunandini

Rajdeep said...

Sir,

All the best for your retirement.

Retirement has been at sixty five for a very long time here, except for government officials.

I will catch up in seventeen years.
But, I hear that there may be no retirement in our time, so there is a possibility that I may not retire at all until my eternal retirement from life.

Well, I guess you will be quite content going on trips, reading books, and listening to good music, and may actually have more time for them.

Do take care of your health.
And, best wishes to you and your family.

Hope to see you in August if you have time.

Rajdeep

Tanmoy said...

Dear Suvroda

I will say: Good wishes and end this comment with a smile.

Regards
Tanmoy