Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Monday, October 09, 2023

Childhood fun

Now that I am going to become a 'senior citizen' in a few days' time, I am dreaming more and more of things that I used to do for fun in my childhood days.

There were two brands of toothpaste that we used, Binaca and Colgate. The Binaca-s used to come with tiny rubber models of all kinds of animals, saving up which as toys was a bonus. Alas, while Colgate carries on bravely, Binaca has gone out of business. What I remember best is using the thin cardboard boxes that enclosed the toothpaste tubes to build make-believe buses, cutting open little rectangular doors and windows along the sides with a razor blade, and nicking myself sometimes while I was at it.

On mornings when I woke up with a thunderstorm raging outside and there was no compulsion to set off for school, I used to pile up pillows and bolsters around me on the bed and pretend to be a captain sailing his little ship across a wild and billowy sea. Those who have read some poems in Stevenson's Child's Garden of Verses (A good Play, My bed is a boat) will be able, perhaps, to share the thrill and joy that I felt, and still imagine can sometimes feel when the clouds roar and the rain falls in torrents at daybreak.

During school vacations my grandpa frequently left me at evenfall at the gate of Children's Little Theatre (aka Aban Mahal) close to our house in Gol Park Kolkata after buying me a ticket, and I spent a couple of enchanted hours watching children little older than me enacting wonderful fables on stage. Two of my perennial favourites were Jijo and Rooplekha (I still sing one of the ditties from the former, tupi chai tupi, and I managed to fall head over heels in love with two successive heroines who performed in the latter!)

One image that keeps coming back is digging a tunnel through wet mud with a friend in our garden, and the triumphant joy we felt when our fingers met underground. Great explorers discovering new countries could hardly have felt prouder of themselves.

Trying out new shoes (only once a year, at Pujo time, and only those which were to be worn to school) was a tickle like few others. The first time they came out of the box, I always put them on and walked about on my bed. And reading Tintin comic books... I have read them in e-book format, and watched all the movies, including the Spielberg stuff, but I would still like to curl up with one of those illustrated books,if only I didn't have every line and picture in every book by heart.

In two of the houses I lived in during our sojourn in DSP township, I could clamber up the walls to the roof, and there I was 'monarch of all I survey'. I spent many a happy autumn night sleeping on one of those roofs when I was in my early teens, after having rigged up a lamp hung from the chimney, and feeling like a great engineer over the achievement. At no other time have I felt so happy and full of vim waking up at sunrise, throwing off the dew-sodden coverlet and slipping downstairs before my mother's angry voice could summon me. 

Making portable fire-fountains (tubri) with a team of friends on the occasion of Diwali was pure bliss, but I have written about that before, so I won't repeat myself.

On winter afternoons my mother sat together with her friends on the outer verandah of one of the houses in the neighbourhood, while we children indulged in horseplay around them - it was quite like one large, happy family - and the highlight of the occasion was when the young peanut vendor arrived, his tiny ponytail swinging from his shiny shaven head, with his trademark cry which sounded to me like 'aye badambhay chanachurey....'. He put down his long wicker stool and doled out his wares, warm shelled peanuts roasted in sand, accompanied by hot dhania chutney served on large sal leaves, and we ate together with our hands, squabbling and squealing with pointless laughter: few five-star dinners have ever tickled my palate half as well. Which brings to mind the many chorui-bhaati s we organised, traditional neighbourhood picnics the likes of which today's kids will never know.

Even at 15, while reading for my secondary level board examinations, I went off after lunch with an air-pillow tucked into my schoolbag along with a textbook or two and took a bus to the railway station. I lounged the whole afternoon on a wooden bench on the thinly crowded platform, studying only occasionally and paying much more attention to the trains coming and going (some still drawn by thundering, steam belching iron dragons in those days); waited for the chaiwallah to wake up from his siesta and serve thirsty people like me, then came home. My parents, leave alone scolding or even objecting, hardly even bothered to ask: they must have been very funny people, but this weird habit did no harm to my examination results. Today's parents will probably die of shock just to imagine their children doing something like that.

So, on the whole, it wasn't such a bad childhood after all, though nostalgia rarely makes me feel sad. Good times, well enjoyed, and happily left behind.

If, Reader, you liked reading this, you might do me the kindness of wishing me a happy sixtieth birthday. It is due in eight days' time :)

P.S.: According to Google, there have been a thousand visits to this blog within two days. A personal record! In comparison, the number of comments is measly. How unkind (or at least insensitive) most people are... especially since I am the sort of person to whom people have come whining and snivelling and asking for all sorts of help or at least a ear to lend to their tales of woe or a shoulder to weep upon for ages and ages, and I have never been short of time for them. Maybe it has been well said that your rewards are waiting in heaven, and you should have very low expectations of your fellow man...

10 comments:

Sunandini Mukherjee said...

Dear Sir,
I read the whole post in almost one breath! It is such a warm reminiscence. Very few people from my generation can claim to have had such an enriching childhood. My parents, who became senior citizens a while back, have similar stories of adventure and unadultered joy. God willing , I'd like my child to have atleast some of it. Birthday wishes in advance, Sir! I will meet you soon.
Regards,
Sunandini

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Thanks, Sunandini, for being first off the mark. Looking forward to seeing you on the 17th!

Samriddha Mazumder said...

Dear Sir,
I would like to say that whatever you mentioned in this blog is some or the other related to our daily life. Being still a teenager right now, I have been experiencing every little act of ours that gives us fun. This is also true that today's parents and students are very different those of that times. Actually, a child's real fun was full of adventure and it was very common in those times. But, today most of the people are either engaged in work at office or students studying in school almost the whole day. We have to accept that the knowledge and education given to us by the nature is more than enough and much much more than the education given to us by our teachers, elders, parents and other people who taught us.
Also, I wish you a very happy birthday in advance and also pray to God so that you can enjoy the rest of your life with a smile.
Thanking you,
Yours faithfully.
Samriddha

Souhardya Saha said...

Dear Sir,
It's sad that you're growing old, (well of course we all are) but it's good to know that you're growing quite happily old. Being born in the 2000's, I'm quite unacquainted with the way the late 60's were (as you used to taunt us, anything before our birth is prehistory), but it seems those times were way more serene and children used to be happy with things which won't buy an iota of happiness to children of today's fastidious generation. I'm glad to know you lived a good childhood. That should probably sum up for you growing old. Happy sixtieth birthday in advance, Sir. If not you, then may your idiosyncrasies remain the way they are.

Abhirup Das said...

Hello Sir. I hope I won't have to introduce myself to you. The excitement, you used to get, when collecting the toys from 'Binaca' pack, I used to feel the same when collecting the BEN 10 stickers from the 'Ajay' toothbrush packs. Though I never had the privilege to use one, I never backed from pulling the stickers off the packs of my cousins. About the feeling of being a captain, I hope that everyone would be familier with this kind of experience even if they have not read the book you had mentioned. Then mention of the peanut vendor reminded me of the kulfi vendor who used to visit our street eveyday afternoon and I still remember my father asking my cousin and me to fall asleep soon or we won't get a kulfi. You know, I had become a bit too nostalgic after reading this blog because after all, I am yet to take the responsibilities of adulthood!

Abhishek Das said...

Dear Sir,
I loved reading your blog and then reminiscing snippets from my own childhood. Your mention of thunderstorms made me recollect the fun of collecting soiled mangoes from our garden after a violent spell of kalboisakhi. The tunnel game you mentioned made me smile – maybe someday I will play the same game with my daughter. And towards the end, I felt a little depressed – when I see kids in Bangalore who have never experienced either the fragrance of moist soil after the first monsoon or the fun of flying kites (especially after applying the manja). My next generation will probably love the ambience of an air conditioned mall than engaging in such silly games
Regards
Abhishek Das

Aveek Mukherjee said...

Dear Sir,

This was an engrossing read. Your account is so vivid and in such fine detail that I was able to visualize a lot of the things you mentioned.

The 'captain sailing his little ship' experience is something I can unabashedly guarantee to be an absolute delight. It made me fondly remember such silly bits from my childhood. The magic never fades!

Thanks for providing a peek into your life. I still hope you continue with this post at some other time.

Heartiest wishes for your birthday in advance.

With regards,
Aveek.

Subhodip Mondal said...

Dear sir,
It was truly an amazing picturesque you gave about how you spent your childhood and for you I started reminiscing about the ships and tanks I made with some pillows .Thank you sir.It was truly amazing.
Regards,
Subhodip

Nishant said...

Dear sir,

Some of your recollection reminds me of things from my childhood, things from the nineties: Cibaca, Binaca, Promise (tooth powder!), Gold Spot, Citra, Big Babol, Boomer (I bought quite a few of those from your father's shop, “Namaskar”).

You had mentioned your visits to the railway station in class once. I remember going to the Hijli station on a few occasions while in Kharagpur. I used to like visiting the station in the evening. The killer mosquitoes were a deterrence though.

Whenever my cousin and I got together, we often used to pretend we were officers or detectives solving crimes, apprehending smugglers and so on, outside our houses or in the park. Who needed TV when we were creators, directors and actors of our own shows?! In comparison, our own lives are so dull right now.

I've lost count of the number of times I've visited Amazon to check out the entire Tintin box set, turning back from the verge of buying it, with the excuse that while I live in a rented flat, I am not accumulating things. For some inexplicable reason, I cannot get enough of “The Blue Lotus”. I really did enjoy the 2011 film though.

I would have never guessed that you'd be involved in making flower-pot crackers. I'd always been warned against how things can go wrong if the ingredients are not stuffed just the right way and could explode, causing grievous injury.

I think I remember you saying something to the effect of “Don't remind me of my advancing years!”, when we used to wish you on your birthday back then (late nineties, early noughties). I wonder if you look at things differently now.

Thanks for making me reminisce my own good old days, sir. Wish you many happy returns of the day.

Sincerely
Nishant.

Subhanjan Sengupta said...

Dear Sir,

First of all, it is a milestone in life to reach 60 and live beyond it with vivid memories of childhood. I am nearing forty, and I do not remember my childhood so vividly as you do. You have the gift of memory, which is something to cherish and feel proud about; although it is equally painful for you to remember moments of grief as vividly as the happy ones.

I will briefly share the thoughts that immediately crossed my mind as I travelled through your memories as I was reading your blogpost, the comments that this post has received with your students sharing their own childhood memories, and at the same time trying to remember my own childhood.

I realised that there was a time when we, as children, used to be happy with the little things of life. Our complaints were mostly inconsequential and rarely turned into long-term anger and discontent. Our expectations from ourselves and from others was rather modest, and we as a society were never so materialistic and consumeristic as we are today. Resources were valued for both economic and cultural reasons, and repurposing was a part of life that made living ‘sustainable’, before we invented the throwaway materials and living. Children in some families, and perhaps more at your time and earlier, grew up as boys and girls who would learn to take responsibility of themselves. Resilience and recovery was a way of living that came naturally to most of us. Trying something new just for the fun of it was a more common thing and something that was acceptable more than what it is today. Even if it is accepted today, it has taken a form of hyper competitiveness where we need to be always doing the ‘right’ thing; what is right is decided by everyone around us but ourselves. Perhaps this list is endless, with so much more that you can add and keep writing and talking about!

On your sixtieth birthday, I wish you many more happy and healthy years ahead!

Best wishes,
Subhanjan