Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Saturday, October 28, 2023

Aashray for Animals

With reference to the baby dog that I wrote about in the last post, my heart aches to write that I am now quite unsure about whether I shall be able to save its life at long distance. Too many ifs and buts... whether they will feed him regularly as I have instructed, whether they will keep watch on that damaged leg, whether the poor baby can take it all. I ran around quite a bit to find out about medicines to give it, then was told that I am not allowed to send liquids by courier or post. I can only pray that those hotel people are going to feed it daily for a while, at least. I have little hope that they will take the trouble to find the medicines and administer them regularly ... if it dies, I shall forever hold myself at least partially responsible. Believe me, it's not a nice thought to think. Anybody have any ideas, or contacts at or near Bodh Gaya whom I can beg to help?

Searching desperately for help online while still in Bodh Gaya, I learnt about Durgapur Aashray for animals, an NGO based in DSP township, Durgapur (19/20, Vivekananda Road, A-Zone). Their work, as described through Google and Facebook, seemed wonderful, but I wanted to see  the shelter for myself before taking a major decision. So I visited them  on Thursday the 26th. And by God, even at this age, I can say that it was a life-changing experience. My faith in humankind has been very powerfully renewed. Good people do exist, though they are sadly few and far between.

Mrs. Chaitali Roy and her family (along with a few dedicated young friends) have given themselves heart and soul to rescuing seriously injured and sick animals - mainly dogs - and giving them food, medical care and a loving home. I very quickly made friends with several of the furry inmates. The situation was as heart-rending as it was heartwarming, paradoxical though that may sound. There was one dog with its front legs permanently broken and stuck skywards, which crawls around on its belly; several are semi-paralysed, and several run around on only three legs, or the front two, their behinds supported on wheels in a frame. But all of them seemed full of life, and quite clearly not miserable or moribund. The organisation regularly arranges for all sorts of medical and surgical procedures too, such as curing dermatitis and acute malnutrition as well as sewing up wounds, restoring prolapsed uteruses and removing ghastly tumours which are potentially fatal if left untreated, besides running a programme of spaying and neutering young animals, so that they do not keep breeding indiscriminately, leading to accidents of all sorts to themselves and humans alike: a problem which has grown increasingly acute all over this country, ever since governments stopped regular culling and sterilizing drives.

They are running a full house, and new animals in pathetic condition keep turning up at their door all the time, besides the ones they continually pick up from the roadside. They often have to turn away animals in desperate need simply because they can no longer cope with more (and for that, as I read on the net, they are abused by people who would themselves, I am sure, never raise a finger to help in any substantial way). They very badly need more resources - space, volunteers, money, everything. 'What can I do to help?' I asked, after making an initial donation (note, I raised the question: Mrs. Roy never mentioned money before I did). She told me that some people do help now and then; but it is far from enough. Simply feeding that many animals daily and adequately costs nearly Rs. 60,000 a month, leaving aside everything else they do, and it was quite evident that they are not rich, idle people indulging a whim. 

So I am begging - that's right, begging - all my friends, acquaintances, students, their parents and every reader - to start a campaign at least to raise funds for this organization, even if we can't do anything else. I myself have vowed to give something every month. Do please first visit their Facebook page (Aashray for Animals), watch some of the videos, 'follow' them, then click a few buttons on your phone. You can send money to the following bank account

Account Name: Durgapur Aashray for Animals, Account number: 919010042770523 (Axis Bank), IFSC: UTIB0000213,

or you can send it via Google Pay/PayTM/Phone Pe at the number: 9609600920.

Please donate with a loving soul and an open hand. And please spread the word around in your own circles ... the more help that comes, the more lives will be saved, the more sufferers lifted out of misery.

Now here are a few photos I took there






5 comments:

Subhanjan Sengupta said...

Thank you Sir for sharing your experience at the shelter home. It is heartbreaking to see the condition of the place. Unfortunately, animal welfare is among the least priorities in developing countries. I may sound cynical because I firmly believe city authorities should spend tax payers money on more meaningful purposes than city beautification projects that indulge in rent seeking by the involved actors. If we can not give basic healthcare, education, and safety to everyone living, humans or others, we loose the right to call ourselves 'civilisation'. Unfortunately, particularly in the matter of street animals, there is also 'fear' which works both ways between people and street animals, and often there are reactions that have consequences due to human error that threatens animals. A lot has to change legally, societally, behaviourally, and in terms of education, to bring change.

Not just shelter home for animals, but a visit to impoverished old age homes and orphanages will also reveal stark realities that would be uncomfortable to experience for many people. Hats off to those who find purpose in 'care' of the vulnerable. Unfortunately, as a society we lack trust, and many feel that donating to NGOs leads to misuse of money. I wonder what makes them say so! Did they ever themselves audit (or even visit) NGOs, particularly those at the grassroots; I am not talking of international NGOs having seminars in five stars, which even at times are organised to raise money form the wealthy. The ones at the grassroots not only need money for sustaining everyday activities, but also to sustain themselves. Most do not understand that supporting philanthropic initiatives must also include supporting the people taking the trouble to take the hard path and do it, while others look for cozy jobs. So everything is important, from fuel to food, from shelter to salary.

Perhaps if I may suggest for the particular case in discussion here, it would be nice if some student of yours in Durgapur can help working out a crowdfunding campaign with them. It may need some planning to make it a good pitch that touches human sentiments. There are many platforms available today to do that, which is a good thing. With one link that does all in terms of information communication and channelling donations through a single payment gateway, it will be useful in sharing the link globally among our connections to raise a good amount of money; particularly so because now you have an excellent student network worldwide. Although I am not sure if the NGO has permission to get dollars/euros as donations, not sure if that needs FCRA clearance, but even a national crowdfunding campaign may go a long way to meet their basic everyday needs.

I will do my bit in sending some support from my end via UPI.

Best regards,
Subhanjan

Suvro Chatterjee said...

This is my own effort at crowdfunding, Subhanjan :) I would like to see how many people respond to a personal appeal from me. As I said, simply spreading the word around in one's own circle can achieve a great deal, if everyone who reads my post does the same.

Joydeep Mukherjee said...

Sir, thank you for bringing this to light; that you yourself visited and checked its authenticity motivated me.

I contributed and did my bit in sharing the link with my batchmates in Durgapur.

With Fond Regards.
Joydeep Mukherjee
SXS 2002

Ani said...

Aniruddha Ghosh here from your 2002 ICSE Batch of students. This blog of yours has been doing rounds in our group of school friends for couple of days. I have done my little bit with a frugal donation through UPI moments ago.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Thanks from the bottom of my heart, Joydeep and Aniruddha (also delighted to know that you still visit this blog!). I hope more people are inspired to contribute.