Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Thursday, May 09, 2024

Neither Google nor travel makes you wise or civilized

I am glad that my 2011 post on Bibhutibhushan's little novel Debjaan has come into the most-read list once more. It deserves multiple readings, if I say so myself. 

It rained very heavily twice this week already, so the weather is blessedly cool right now. As I noticed someone commenting on his Whatsapp status yesterday, it is tragi-comic that people forget about the threat of global warming the moment it rains.

I mentioned global warming and its effects in passing with a bit of scepticism  in my last post. Someone else I know a little berated me for not knowing much about the subject. I'd like to mention just a few things in this context:

1) Most 'educated' people these days obviously cannot recognize any kind of humour except the grossest sort, accessible to middle-school goers: I was writing in a joking mood, meaning tongue in cheek;

2) I had clearly mentioned that I was only talking about how the weather has (or has not) changed in and around Durgapur, where I have spent most of my life, not talking about the whole planet;

3) My critic, who boasted of having travelled far and wide and therefore knowing much better how real the issue of global warming is compared to old stuck-in-the-mud me, and claims to have read all my posts, clearly has no idea not only that I have written again and again about the growing menace of environmental pollution and degradation here on this blog, and indeed I first wrote about it (in connection with the Club of Rome's Limits to Growth 1972 report) in a national newspaper forty plus years ago - several years before this person was even born; also, this person has no idea that people who stay physically stuck in one place all their lives often know far more about the world than those who hop around it all the time ... witness the examples of Bibhutibhushan himself, Premendra Mitra, Tintin's creator Herge and Satyajit Ray's brilliant creation Sidhu Jyatha;

4) I shall go on record with three assertions which I have come to believe over forty years of learning and reflecting about the way this world is going. Firstly, while environmental damage threatening human life itself is a very real and dangerous thing indeed, global warming is only one dimension of it, and it is backed by a lot of poor science and hyped propaganda ... but of course to know that you have to spend thousands of hours reading, understanding, thinking and remembering, besides knowing what genuine science is all about, and 'who has the time for that?' Secondly, too many people screaming themselves hoarse over this issue are either ignorant of their own position or what we call bokodharmik in Bangla - I haven't see too many crusaders giving up on their cars and air conditioners or taking trains or ships instead of flights just to save the environment. Thirdly, I don't even much blame those people - except for their stupidity and rudeness, of course - the world we have made, and grown to be entirely dependent upon, is so complex and essentially pivoted on a few basic things (like near-total reliance on fossil fuels, still, and a hyper-consumerist lifestyle, aspirational if not real) that unless we become determined en masse to change not only our most basic technology very quickly (I don't know whether that is even possible) but our very way of living, all that talk about fighting to save the environment is sure to remain pure time-wasting nonsense - picking up plastic litter by the roadside just to have it all dumped somewhere else! Fight the real fight to have all production of single use, quick-disposal plastic stuff permanently banned - and fight that out on the streets, not as internet warriors.

Anyway, those who are reading the post on Debjaan should know I am not exactly ignorant nor facetious and superficial. So when you write comments, better be sure you know what you are talking about, and whom you are talking to. Otherwise, not commenting is the safest option, really. Also, as I repeat ad nauseam, among civilized people, courtesy as well as gentleness and moderation of discourse is absolutely essential. To me, at least. My life, my blog, my rules. And if I cannot, in my station of life, live by my own rules - within the bounds of the law - whose rules should I live by?

Remember, finally, that Google can at best give you information and guideposts to knowledge, and that too only if you at all know how to search. And it certainly cannot make you wise and civilized. They don't even profess to try!

7 comments:

Sunandini Mukherjee said...

Dear Sir,
I'm sorry to hear about the unpleasant exchange. Environmental 'crisis' is something too many people seem to have an expert opinion on, without the faintest idea of how to make things better even for one's immediate habitat. Just today, I came across a deputation to the VC given by students from my old campus, asking for action towards tackling environmental damage. While there may be some students who are genuinely concerned, I remember the vast majority who never bothered to stop littering, threw non biodegradable garbage near ponds, and turned a blind eye when I sometimes picked up plastic waste around the canteen. I find it hard to believe that living or travelling without air conditioning is something many environmental activists can simply give up. It may not even be possible with soaring temperature and humidity. And not just this. Nature is more complex than recycling waste and rainwater harvesting. Endangered seed varities, mindless landscaping, afforestation with trees incompatible to a region's soil and climate, all of these must be taken stock of before embarking on a sanctimonius virtual crusade about 'saving' the environment. It's needless to say that most people are unaware, unwilling and sometimes incapable of thoughtful measures. But one is definitely capable of not lecturing a person who encourages young people to read Bibhutibhushan!
Regards,
Sunandini

Rajdeep said...


Sir,

Sorry to hear about that.

I read the following book.
The Value of a Whale: On the Illusions of Green Capitalism By Adrienne Buller.

Climate catastrophe, if real, and not as the skeptics claim to be, is something that we will experience during our lifetimes.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/may/10/climate-scientists-starting-families-children#:~:text=An%20exclusive%20Guardian%20survey%20has,were%20extremely%20difficult%2C%20they%20said.
‘I am starting to panic about my child’s future’: climate scientists wary of starting families


And, you are right about Google and AI. They are tools that one may use effectively only if they know the right keywords and questions. An Oxford professor of AI has written a book that says the same thing.

This article may be of some interest, perhaps? Some people still seem to care...
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/article/2024/may/09/apple-ipad-ad-prompts-online-backlash

Apple apologises for iPad ad criticised as ‘destruction of the human experience’
Advert featuring huge hydraulic press crushing cultural objects struck wrong note with many

Take care.

Rajdeep

Souparno Bhattacharya said...

Dear Sir,

Sangam literature, particularly "porulathikaram," offers a glimpse into a bygone era with the concept of tinai (agam & puram), where humanity coexisted with nature in harmony (in the Holocene epoch). This concept is beautifully captured by the idea of "homing" or allegiance to one's place, and respecting its indigeneity. This idyllic state has eroded, with frameworks like environmental determinism failing to grasp the bigger picture. Even the use of soft power by hegemonic entities, replacing local, small-scale products with "kurkure" and "wow momo," are regretful instances of that process.

Today's focus on utilitarianism prioritizes material gain over well-being, exemplified by our obsession with expensive pets while neglecting strays. Sir, your work with "Ashray" to help these animals is commendable. While travel for this "current pupil" is experiential, he must also understand that true understanding comes from deep observation and adaptation, as Terry Tempest Williams states in "Desert Spring": "The practice of place-based education encourages attentive observation and a deepening sense of connection."

Prioritizing nature might seem like a distant dream for a nation focused on economic growth, but searching for harmony in this dystopian setting is the least we can do. We must look beyond political rhetoric and focus on real action, as Donna J. Haraway states in "Staying with the Trouble," advocating for collaboration and evidence-based solutions.

Regards
Souparno

Subhanjan Sengupta said...

Dear Sir,

This was an unexpected post. First, because someone would go this far to tell you something like that. Second, because you have taken it a bit seriously, whereas, if I am not wrong, usually you have been able to ignore critics like these quite easily.

Well, first, let me share that I believe in the idea and importance of ‘sustainable development’, as we need to offer a better future to those who exist now and to those who will be born. My own work (empirical research in social sciences and business studies) is on the role of new and existing small to medium business (or business-oriented) organizations in addressing the grand sustainability challenges in their own small way at the micro and meso levels. There is a lot going on in practice, policy, and scientific research, from small to large initiatives and from deep level to surface level action, to save the people and its planet. At the same time, it is simply just not enough and seems like a dwarf in front of the most unsustainable and irresponsible socio-economic and technical systems which we have created to trap ourselves quite badly in it. There is a very complex set of issues that now surround the uncertainty of meeting the sustainable development goals (which we are not meeting anyhow by 2030 contrary to what was envisioned); issues such as volatile geo-politics, slowing economic growth, rising inequality, fossil fuel lobbies, fate of new age critical materials, and the raising conversation on just transition and human rights.

Having said that, I believe this is not rocket science and most of us who visit your blog are already aware of these things, one way or the other. And certainly, you have your own set of knowledge, values and practices in relation to these matters. Whenever I have visited your home, I have seen there is no opulence. Many of the things that you use have been there for two generations; and probably you will now pass them on to your daughter who will use them as a third generation if she would like to accept and inherit. You take good care of your belongings and try to maintain them till end of life rather than throwing them away. You also wear simple, but you are always neat and gentlemanly. You have been able to keep yourself away and above fancy technological aids for more convenient living and work. Your overall carbon footprint is lesser than many people who live in Durgapur, and far lesser than those who live in megacities with either negative habits such as wasteful consumerism for show-off or habits related to even positive tastes such as being sartorial or being fond of fine wine and dining. To be honest, I have not been able to practice the kind of lifestyle that you have, nor have I come across many people in urban life who manage to have simple and sustainable living in that sense. I too can say this about you after having travelled many countries, just like the person who had a different observation about you after travelling far and wide.

It is also unrealistic for your readers to expect that you will keep writing on everything under the sun as if it is not enough to have the treasure throve of content that we already have on your blog. Had I been a cutting edge and breakthrough digital programmer and designer working at Meta on metaverse, your writings could have been turned into a digital archive from which the AI can learn and inform anyone seeking critical insights on various matters related to life and living.

I hope my comment plays a small role in making you feel slightly better.

With warm regards,
Subhanjan

Tanmoy said...

Dear Suvroda
I am sad about your interaction, but I am not surprised. Every day, these days I meet people who seem to have lost the ability to make their own judgement based on available information. Misuse of internet means, people are allowing themselves to be fed. Sadly, for kids reliance on being fed means they do not even know who to believe, what to believe but basically not making their own decision.
As you pointed out, consciousness about environment starts in our own homes. I have not met anyone who lead by example to be honest.
Never knew Sukumar Roy’s Biddhebojhai Babumoshai (s) will one-day dominate the world. I am struggling to adjust to this reality.
Regards
Tanmoy

Saptarshi Ghosh said...

Dear sir,

I hope you're in good health.
I would like to know your opinion on Generative AI (chat GPT) and how it will shape the future of English Language.

Regards,
Saptarshi

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Thank you, Subhanjan, your comment certainly made me feel better :)

Tanmoy, ditto here. Instinctively 'sobjanta' Bangali with Google at his disposal is insufferable. I prefer to keep quiet and aloof - alas, that is not always possible.

Saptarshi, I simply don't know. These are still early days. Wait and watch. I can say this much: the way language has already been mangled, desiccated and impoverished by human hand and mouth over just one generation, I don't think AI could do any more harm.