Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Thursday, June 18, 2009

A warning and apology

It seems that someone hacked my gmail password, because some people have told me in the last few days they have received emails which I couldn't possibly have written. I am sorry if anyone has been given offence of any kind by the 'ghost' writer. I have since changed my password, but I am keeping my fingers crossed: it seems there's no real security on the Net, after all! If someone close to me gets some strange mail supposedly from me, please let me know: in person or over the phone.
You don't have to post any comments on this. This was for your information only.

1 comment:

Subhasis Graham Mukherjee said...

aha Suvro, you have gained celebrity and star status on the net now. I thought these things only happen to the Paris Hiltons and the like.

posting despite your directive to emphasize a few points.

1. change your password frequently, at least every three months on personal and monthly on business accounts.

2. choose a hard password, combo of upper case, lower case, numbers and hard to guess so no DOBs and so on. Gmail will show you the strength as you develop it.

3. No. 1 and 2 would be too hard to memorize and maintain, so write all these down somewhere.

4. No 3 makes all these a waste of time and quite vulnerable from the point of security, so forget about all these.

Google knows and admits there are quite a few holes and vulnerabilities in Gmail security and they are trying to address them.

Google to try more security on Gmail - http://www.macworld.com/article/141190/2009/06/gmail.html?lsrc=rss_main

cheers