Explore this blog by clicking on the labels listed along the right-hand sidebar. There are lots of interesting stuff which you won't find on the home page
Seriously curious about me? Click on ' What sort of person am I?'

Monday, July 15, 2013

Dutta vs. Dutta

It is no longer news that Bangla cinema is going through a renaissance of sorts: it’s been years since I used to say that I’d rather watch even Bollywood potboilers. Anjan Dutta’s Dutta vs. Dutta, though maybe not the finest movie I have seen in recent times, is certainly worth watching. It occurred to me that no schoolteacher should set her class to write on the ‘advantages and disadvantages of the joint family’ unless she and they have seen this movie, nor should any child be allowed to wax eloquent about the bliss of filial piety and sibling love until she has seen the worst that reality can serve up. For another thing, it brought back horrid, poignant and faintly comical memories of Calcutta in the throes of the ‘Naxalite-cum-hippie’ quasi-revolution which my generation watched with thumb-in-mouth bewilderment from the sidelines because we were at least ten years too young to take part in it and be burnt by it, while our parents were on average ten years too old. The third thought was that this part of the world has actually changed too little, despite the supposed miracles wrought by television, the internet, the cellphone and the ubiquitious motorcycle, besides higher incomes all around – our ‘with-it’ young hipsters today are going through the same motions that their fathers and even some grandfathers did in their salad days, poor zombies, imagining they are ‘enjoying themselves’ and ‘expressing themselves’ in a more novel and interesting way. Maybe Facebook helps to sustain the illusion. And lastly, I couldn’t help smiling wryly on being reminded of the Bangla saying ‘shongshaar holo shong er shaar’ … family life for most of us for the most part is black comedy.

A more than usually sensitive and gifted boy growing up in a severely dysfunctional family and dreaming of growing up to be a happy human being loved by at least one good person who loves him back and pursuing some relatively offbeat and creative career like music, writing or acting rather than engineering, medicine, accountancy or (as in this case-) law has become something of a staple with ‘movies with a message’ these days, so they can be graded only by how dexterously or clumsily they have handled the subject matter. I think D vs. D has been done rather well. It deals with a largeish number of flawed, even seriously eccentric characters without demonizing any of them. Indeed, more than one arouses one’s sympathy, to my mind none more than Biren Dutta the failed-lawyer dad of the narrator, despite his indolence, his name-dropping, his petty domestic tyrannizing, his gambling, alcoholism and pathetic philandering. He could never express himself well (alas, such a common failing!), his dreams were absurdly beyond his reach… but all he had ultimately wanted was a somewhat better life for himself and his loved ones, a little more dignity and recognition, a little less of lifelong helplessness and futililty. A man like that does not deserve to be beaten like an animal in police lockup for no  fault of his own, nor becoming a paraplegic in the dusk of his life, unable to die and almost unable to bask in the mild glow of wordly success that his nearly-estranged but beloved son has earned at last. I shall not grudge Providence all that it did not let me do in this lifetime that I know I could have done and well, if only it spares me an end like that. While I was watching, the old ABBA number kept playing at the back of my head: ‘People need love, people need loving…,’ probably even the worst of us.

No, this is not an expert’s learned and dispassionate review. It is an unapologetically personal response to something that moved me strongly, and I have tried, in brief, to explain why. In the hope that I may perchance persuade a few people to look at these things my way. Besides, who knows, maybe directors like to read comments like this from the general viewer, too?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sir

I have admired Anjan Dutta, the aadhunik singer-lyricist and adept actor for few years now. And though I know very little about cinema as an art, I think, his directorial abilities have improved wonderfully over time. I remember being disappointed with ‘Madly Bangali’ (not too sure of the spelling! :D) and ‘The Bong Connection’. But ‘RAAAN’ and ‘D v D’, I liked immensely. And his singing venture has been successful despite negligible inclination to politics, the Hot Bengali Potato! I don’t intend to bring comparisons between him and any of his contemporaries. I like Nachiketa and Kabir Suman as well.
I sometimes wonder, like I did while watching the movie, does caricaturing one’s own parents, this hard-nosed way depict the fall of moral sense to any amount? Should or should not parents be discounted to an extent only because they are ‘parents’? Salman Rushdie’s short story ‘The Courter’ somehow asks me to contemplate over this issue.

In a certain way, if only the theme be considered, I would want to rate this movie better than ‘3 idiots’ for this is much more encouraging and easy to come to terms with. The young Anjan Dutta is neither maestro nor do his stars shine very bright, meaning the conditions of being extraordinary (like Phunsukh Wangdu with 400 patents- Steve Jobs had around 340!) or absolute success have been spared. But this comparison might not be completely just for it’s being drawn between fiction and auto-biopic (I guess). Also, had ‘D v D’ been done ten or fifteen years ago, it surely would have faced the response for a hard-luck story, but Anjan Dutta has timed it very well (maybe God timed it for him), at the right ripe time when he, as we should know, has of course exhausted the need to crave fame or sympathy, which often is the same thing for celebrities.

The movie reminds of a glorious but chaotic phase in Bengal’s past. What it simultaneously makes one think about is how chaos and creativity coexisted in those harsh times. Today the times prevailing over Bengal are easier but the creative output of the state and inclination to being “different” (Ronodeep like) has sadly evaporated. Should the situation be related to the preface to ‘T P of Dorian Gray’, wherein Wilde mentions, paraphrasing him- “the moral life of people forms the subject matter of the artist” or should it be related to the fever of playing safe that has gripped the entire country too strong? God knows and He’s smiling!

Regards
Manoshij

Soham Mukhopadhyay said...

Sir,
I also saw Dutta Vs. Dutta recently (partly because I had been longing to see it for a long time and partly because you had posted your review on it). I agree with all the points in your review and with Manoshijda's views as well- especially with the third paragraph in his comment. I would like to add something I read in the articles which appeared in newspapers and magazines a year ago when the movie was released. In one such article Anjan Dutta said that- with this movie he had given away a part of himself to the public. After watching the movie I think that he has really done justice to the remark he made on his work.

with regards,
Soham